How sad is this? This is one reason fathers' need to be more attentive!

http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/20/1866815/chief-father-left-child-in-hot.html#storylink=addthis

Chief: Father left child in hot car on Father’s Day

- jmonk@thestate.com

tool name

close
tool goes here

The father of the nine-month-old baby who died after being left unattended in a car for hours in sweltering heat is the person who left the baby in the car, Columbia Police Chief Randy Scott said today.

Scott estimated the lengthy of time the baby was in the car with the windows rolled up from Sunday morning until afternoon was easily more than three hours.

"It probably was four hours -- could be more, could be a little less," Scott said.

Meanwhile, an autopsy on the boy, Jayden Davis, of Charbonneau Apartments, revealed that he died from complications of acute hyperthermia, said Richland County coroner Gary Watts.

Hyperthermia means an elevated body temperature and is considered a medical emergency. It requires prompt treatment to prevent sickness or death. Infants are especially susceptible to hyperthermia in hot, closed areas.

The temperature around noon Sunday in the Columbia area was about 92 under mostly sunny conditions, according to the National Wearther Service.

Chief Scott said his department is investigating the death but has as of yet reached no conclusions.

Scott said the father, whose name he did not reveal, had dropped the mother off at work Sunday morning. At the time, the baby was in a car seat in the rear of the car, a 2008 Mercury Milan sedan. The car seat was facing backwards..

When the father returned to the apartments, he got out of the car and went into the apartments, leaving the baby outside in the car, Scott said.

"This is a tragedy this happened on Father’s Day," Scott said.

"I can only imagine what the family is going through now outside of a criminal investigation," Scott said. "But we are talking about the death of a child. I’m not saying charges will be filed, but I’m not ruling that out."

Scott urged any member of the public who sees a young child unattended in a car to call 911 immediately.

"We are living in South Carolina in this type of heat and humidity -- no one or nothing can be left in a vehicle in this heat," Scott said. "Even if it’s in the wintertime, you just never want to leave a child unattended in a vehicle."

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/20/1866815/chief-father-left-child-in-hot.html#storylink=addthis#ixzz1Ps8bOmQO

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 10:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• dumb ass
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Umm... sounds to me like hes a pretty crappy dad. I mean, its one thing to have a bunch of stuff on your mind and forget for a second... but for three hours? The dad should be blamed.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's terribly sad.. and yet it continues to happen year after year. I honestly don't know what these people are thinking?? I'd be interested in knowing what exactly the father was doing for those three hours. I noticed the article didn't say he went to work, but back to their apartment.. wow, such a tragic and senseless death :(
    js9798

Answer by js9798 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Ok... I read your post wrong! I thought you said "... Needs more attention." LOL.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• that is so fucken sad
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• OMG!!! That is terrible!!! What in the world would make a person do something so horrible!!! That poor mother!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Omg wow!!! That's so sad!!! If I were the mother I'd kill that "father". That's awful!!! How do you do that???
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I will never understand how people can forget their children in their cars! HOW? HOW? HOW?
    You put them in, how in the hell can you forget to take them out and then for HOURS?!?!?!?!??!
    These type of accidents should never, ever happen.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• horrible parenting.. how the hell do you forget your child. this shit happens too much.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• That poor little baby.....thats just heart breaking
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 10:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011