Input anyone?. . .

I was wondering if anyone here has a child with FAS or FAE. My third son has not been diagnosed, and I don't remember drinking during the pregnancy. . . perhaps a glass of wine at one point at Christmas, but He seems to display some of the facial features as well as behavior. At 1 yr old he was the size of a six month old, and had low muscle tone, he couldn't walk till 18 months. (Doc said all kids are different, but something seemed off to me.) He still displays odd behavior, such as extreme anger (punching, choking, screaming) and stubbornness (even for a 3 yr old). Aside from that he has severe reflux and vomits at least once a day. Is it possible that one or two drinks could cause it? Am I just paranoid?

Panditacjp

Asked by Panditacjp at 9:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Kids' Health

• No I do not think he has FAS, not over one drink.

There are however many genetic disorders that cause developmental delays, facial features, emotional problems etc...

Definitely make notes on things that stand out and if something is not right go with your gut.

You mentioned he has severe reflux, small stature, have you checked to see if something is preventing him from getting the nutrients he needs like food allergies, food intolerances etc ?

You may want to at least get him evaluated through early intervention on your own to see if they notice any other delays he can at least get help for while finding out if the cause is due to some genetic disorder etc..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• While they say FAS can be caused by even one drop, it's not true. I drank in my pregancy, often, before I found out. I talked to my doctor about it, and she told me it wasn't a problem at all, that FAS occurs after extensive, continuous drinking. Though, that doesn't mean it's ok to drink while pregnant, because anything COULD happen, and taking the chance isn't worth it.
    swtdreamsofyou1

Answer by swtdreamsofyou1 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Has the pediatrician started testing him for anything? I don't know what could cause low muscle tone. My son was a one-year-old wearing six month clothing. He was tested for cancer, diabetes, Celiac Disease and something else that I don't remember. The tests were all negative. You are not being paranoid. I would like to recommend a website that the children's hospital here told me about. www.medlineplus.com Do a search on low muscle tone. I did. It came up with some interesting information. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• How about trying a nutraceutical which are nutritional blends that provide specific benefits beyond meeting basic nutritional needs.

You will be surprised how your body will react when you feed it good nutrition on a daily basis.
    lovemy2kidsfor

Answer by lovemy2kidsfor at 8:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thanks for the input everyone. . . .I have been giving him Vitamin shakes and keep food availible to him all of the time, but I will look into finding a nutraceutical that would benefit him personally as I'm sure it would help. He has not been tested for Diabetes, or Celiac Disease. I'm taking him so see a Gastronomy specialist for his reflux. Because I am a small person (5'2, 100lbs) most pediatricians just say he's like me, the thing is since I have 3 others, I can really tell the difference and don't think it's entirely genetic. I was generally worried that he might have FAS or FAE because of the facial features and attitude issues, as well as failure to thrive. . . I just don't know if it is even possible because I only drank once or twice, and 1 drink at a time during the pregnancy.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2008