Would you keep your air conditioner on and bundle up your kids in sweatshirts or turn it off

We had family over and it was about 70 outside and we didn't have the AC on because the house was cold but obviously not cold enough for SIL and MIL so they turn the AC on....so we let it go for ten minutes till we are cold and shut it off because our DD (9 months old) was getting really cold dressed in a pair on cords and a short sleeve shirt.........omg they flipped out on us and told us to dress her warmer they weren't going to be inconvenienced because we won't dress her appropriately (it's 60 outside and they are wearing jeans long sleeve shirts and jackets that they refused to remove to cool down)

So my question would you bundle up your daughter in hot weather just because someone was to lazy to take off a jacket?

krissii

Asked by krissii at 11:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• It's your house, your rules. Turn the thing off. Your the one paying the bills, not them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Your paying the bill not her she doesn't like it she knows where the door is.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You aren't suppose to be running AC at temps lower than 65 anyway. It ruins the unit. I'd personally tell them to fuck off. Unless they are willing to pay your bills and pay for a new unit (because IT WILL GET RUINED), then tell them they can make their own selves comfy.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Tell them if they can't stand it to go find a hotel with A/C - it's your home, your daughter's home, you and your husband are the ones paying the bills. That's ridiculously selfish of them.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i leave mine on long enough to get it comfortable in here. our house in insulated very well so it stay cool for hours without the air on. when my kids were babes i had the temp set for their needs and if guest complained it was too hot or cold i told them they could leave anytime, my house my rules.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Tell them to go kick rocks!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• In the summer we wear shorts and Ts in the house

In the winter we wear socks, pants and sweatshirts

It's silly to overheat or overcool your house. Expensively silly.

Allllll that being said, for a short visit my Southern hospitality might have turned on the air to take out some humidity, but my tough grits would have come out when they told me how to dress my daughter! Then my Southern hospitality side would come back and offer T-shirts for my guests if they liked, and try to figure out where I could get some "my house, my rules!" t-shirts to make them more comfortable ;-)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sounds like SIL and MIL should find somewhere else to spend their time. I would never be inconvenienced in my own home or put my kids through unnecessary discomfort for anyone.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• it would have been fine if it were a short visit i can live with that but it was all day
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would have offered to entertain them outside. They could have removed jackets to make themself comfortable.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011