a good way to explain adult subjects to small children??

my husband has been deployed now for almost 4 months and will be gone still for another 10 months. my son turns 3 on monday but he just doesn't understand, we are having sleep issues, bad behaviors, seperation anxiety from myself very badly.. any idea's on how to let him know why and when daddy will be coming home?? any advice would be great!!!

boyer94

Asked by boyer94 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell him the truth in short simple language. Daddy is a soldier. he has to go away to protect us from bad people. he loves us and he will come home soon. there is no easy way to deal with it, but eventually, this will become normal for your son. good luck and God bless your husband and family.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I agree with the person above, but I'd liekly stay away from saying anything about bad people. It might scare him and help nothing. Kids don't need to know all the truth about adult things. Most adults can't even handle the truth!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Have you tried having him help you make a chart or calendar? Meijer has these huge rolls of paper that you can buy, you can make like a graft type thing and each day mark off a day, then you can show him how many boxes are left till daddy comes home. I'd say unroll the roll to the height of your ceiling then let him draw pics of him and daddy all over it, then take a yard stick and a sharpie to draw the boxes, then you can do months of # of days left deal. Good Luck!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with everything above...including not saying "bad people".

Also try making him his own photo album. Print out several pictures of Daddy and some of him and Daddy together. Put the album where he can reach it but in a special place. He can go look at it whenever he feels like he's missing Daddy and wants to see him.

It helped with my oldest when he was three and my husband was gone all week....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 AM on Dec. 15, 2008