I know it is nice but...

My MIL wants to buy my 1yr a toddler room-in-a-box set for her christmas present because we had said that we were going to set up her room soon. But the stuff that is in the set really isnt worth what she would pay for it. We bought my son one and the toy organizer bins are so cheesey and not even holding up well and that is what is in this set. When we bought it we were going to buy the bed and a different toy organizer same theme just made better the bins are plastic instead of clothe. Anyway. I dont know what to tell her. I know it is nice of her and it is her money but I dont want it to be wasted. So what do I tell her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• i'd tell her you have one picked out already .. my mil wants to do the same for our son jaxen i just straight up told her they wern't worth the money that they were cheap made and he'd have it broken up in less than two years.... she giggled and decided maybe it wasn't worth it

im overly honest with my in laws and have a great relationship because of it
    rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Well just tell her the truth. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me...maybe it is with your MIL, I don't know.
    I would just say, "Hey you know we got one of those sets for DS and it was a bunch of junk. Don't waste your money on that. If you really want to contribute to the room that would be great, how about getting her ______ or _____" .
    Or something to that effect. I'm sure she doesn't want to waste her money on crap, and since you know that it is, and I'm assuming she doesn't, then just tell her!
    teach_ohio

Answer by teach_ohio at 12:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think she will understand as long as you explain nicely your reasons (as you have here). You might also offer the suggestion of a gift card to the same store in the amount she was planning to spend. That way she is helping you get the bedding, but you get only the pieces you need/want (everybody wins).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Then tell her that you had already planned to buy it yourself. Unless she is okay with you suggesting how she spend her money (some people are, some people are not) I don't think I would be too picky. But I can see where you are coming from. I guess a lot of it depends on your relationship with her. Also, you could let DH deal with it, since it is his mom.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 11:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Tell her just to go out and pick things out separately that go together. Because you don't like the bed in the box sets because they are cheaply made.
    Mommy2Be172009

Answer by Mommy2Be172009 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• tell her what you just said to us. Honesty works best.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2008