What have you learned

what have you learned from your mom or dad or someone in the family about being a great mom

britt2thabrat

Asked by britt2thabrat at 12:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• The importance of having dinner as a family. I didn't really have it with my mom growing up, but my grandma always made it happen when at her house. It's something I practice with my boys and I love it and they do, too.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I learned how to balance being a friend and being a parent. I never once felt like I had to lie or hide anything from either of my parents though I certainly knew if I messed up bad that I'd be in for it. I was taught respect, morals, values and above all else loyalty to the family - my siblings and I were disciplined by both parents and neither one ever let up until the punishment was over but they have great personalities and a great sense of humor and I have far more memories of laughing and having fun growing up than I do of anything else. Even during my teen years when my mom and I would get into it - I love my parents dearly and I talk to them just about every day. My dad once mentioned they may move back to Ireland after my youngest brother finishes high school, I nearly broke down and already plotted ways to make them stay..
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ive learned to not be my "mother" grandma grandpa an dad both told me that would make me a great mom. an so far i think its been pretty good i have 2 happy healthy little boys :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• how to remember to have fun.. yes having kids means a lot of responsibility.. yes you clean, and cook, and do laundry, and kiss boo boos, and give hugs and kisses, and read bedtime stories, and tuck them in, sooth them when they are sick, etc.. but the best part of being a parent is being a kid again with them and having fun with them. Letting yourself get back down to their level while playing is the greatest lesson I learned, regardless of how funny you act doing silly little dancings with spatula microphones, and cake batter smeared faces..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Unfortunately I have took nothing that my parents did to raise me I don't agree with how I was raised and I do things the way I wish I was raised in a loving safe family oriented environment.
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I've learned the importance about being open and honest with your children and developing a good rapport early and keeping those lines of communication open so even as teens they will feel comfortable coming to you
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 6:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I didn't have good parents, I hated the way I was raised for the most part. I learned what not to do, and am raising my children completely different than how I was raised. I raise them with honesty, support, guidance and above all excellent communication.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2011