Do you ever encounted people arguing about repeat c-sections vs. VBACs in real life?

I see it a lot on the internet, but for the first time heard an argument yesterday on repeat c-sections vs. VBACs in real life. Someone asked me when I was due and I told them when but also mentioned that it would be earlier than my due date because I would be having a repeat c-section. Then the conversation went on and one mom mentioned how she didn't like her c-section experience. She was nice about it and not judgmental of others, just telling her experience and how her next 2 kids were VBACs. The other mom there said that when she had her repeat c-section she was told it would be very dangerous for her to have a VBAC and therefor thought that anyone who has a VBAC is just stupid. At that point I was thinking, "uh oh! This could get ugly." You could tell that the mom who had the VBACs was upset by that remark but she handled it very well.

In the end they agreed that it depends on the person. There were reasons that it was more dangerous for the repeat mom and there were reasons why a c-section was more dangerous for the VBAC mom. We're all different and our bodies will react differently in those situations.

It was nice to see two women discuss it without getting too judgmental and assuming and rude to each other. Yes, the one said something rude but she realized her mistake and apologized. Too bad more conversations online don't end more like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ha ha. I had an emergency c-sec for my third baby and went on to to have 2 VBACs but then my doctor suggested baby number 6 should be a c-sec, because of my previous c-sec and because it was "multi-gravidia" (lots of babies), I had gestational diabetes, and because I was, by then, in my 40s. So I had the argument in real life, inside my head!! After getting contradictory medical opinions from various places, I eventually chose to go with the c-sec; it was awful, but I delivered a healthy beautiful lil girl, so I'm not complaining!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm studying to be a midwife, and used to hang out with women who LOVED to discuss controversial things like that, so I've definitely had that discussion more than once. Trying to convince DH that a VBAC will be a safe option for ME is my next challenge!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• lol, no i haven't.. but I don't get into those arguments on here because I've never had a c-section.. so it's not something I"ve personally gone through, thus I don't feel like I have the right to hold a strong opinion either way. So even if someone did around me, I doubt I would have even paid much mind to it because it's not an issue I could really join in the debate on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I had two C-sections, then three VBACs. We are all different, and doctors all have different oppinions. Some doctors do not EVER believe in VBACs because the risk, no matter how small, can be fatal! My doctor for my first VBAC said that I could go into labor, but if I had a big baby or a long labor, he'd do a c-section. Then he left! I was in labor 14 hours, and delivered a 9lb 6 oz baby girl with the doctor on call. I wonder what the original doctor would have thought of as "big" or "long"?

I felt like a failure after my first C-section. My new hubby and I had attended natural childbirth classes, but after 26 hours of unproductive hard labor, had to have a c-section. I felt like I had let my DH down.

My second C-section was only 15 months after my first.

So then I had the nature childbirths... and I kind of laughed at myself. Some moms feel that natural childbirth is beautiful! I just felt dirty and tired.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011