My son will be 4 years old september 9th, I understand is birthday is late but?

Is there any moms out there whose child has a late birthday, and if so, did the school keep them behind? and at what age did your child actually start preschool? Thanks moms, just need some ideas!

MothersJoy

Asked by MothersJoy at 12:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ~*YES*~... by contacting the school district!!! You can fight it and there are specific paper work you can fill out... and I am all for it!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If you'd like to start him in kindergarten but he misses the cut-off date, you can always send him to a Montessori kindergarten.  You can then transfer him to public school or hold him back - whatever you feel is best for him.  They don't look at age with transfer students because, as you can see from this post, the cut off dates are all different.  My kids have June and July birthdays with a 9/1 cut off.  They all started at age 5.  So many moms hold their sons back, but mine are doing fine with being one of the youngest in their classes.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I live in Louisiana and our cut off date is September 30th. Both my girls were born in September. The 20th and the 25th. They both started at age 4 in pre school
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks
    jbond83, I live in Wichita, Ks. And I think our cut off is August. He is so ready to be around other kids, and learn.
    MothersJoy

Comment by MothersJoy (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son has his birthday in August and according to the policy here (Australia) he was forced to wait the extra year to start school. Our school year co-incides with the calendar, so starts in January and goes to December. He's top of his class in English and Math and Science, he is emotionally and socially more sophisticated than his peers, and he is bored in class. I wish I could get him to skip a year (he's now in grade 2 and he's 7 nearly 8 years old) but they don't allow that. :/ He started preschool when he was already 5.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• September 1 in my state. My sister was born on the 2 and she has to start when she turns 6

Preschool you can start as early as three no matter the date born since it is an option to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• @mommaClark3 thanks, I ill call to check that out!
    MothersJoy

Comment by MothersJoy (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The cut off is December 31st here and I have a January son. So he has to wait another year.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks ladies for the responses, I can't even sleep, just thinking what should I do. I will check with our school district here, before you know it, school will be in session!
    MothersJoy

Comment by MothersJoy (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• our cut off dates for our school district is dec. 1.. (both my kids are in dec. (8th and 22nd)..

but oldest is 3 1/2 and starting preschool this fall (she's eligible this summer, but I want her started in the fall because we missed most of the enrollment deadlines for the summer and still want to look into a few more before deciding on one).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011