Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Widows peak

I am wonderin if both parents do NOT have a widows peak is it possible for the child to have one? I have done extensive reasearch on this and everything I read is so hard to understand so I am just looking for a yes or a no.Thanks.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (12)
  • Yes it's possible. Perhaps an ancestor had one. That's how genes work. It can skip the parents.
    admckenzie

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • its possible
    letstalk747

    Answer by letstalk747 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • No. Widow's peak is dominant over no widow's peak so if either parent has that gene, it will show on their hairline.

    Some ambiguity comes from the fact that while some people have a very definite widow's peak and some definitley don't have one, there are some shades of grey - someone who has a very slight one - and I don't know how that figures into the genetics of it. But if both parents have a definite smooth hairline, the child will not have a widow's peak.
    judimary

    Answer by judimary at 12:46 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • The previous replies are uninformed and wrong.
    judimary

    Answer by judimary at 12:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • http://www.biology.iupui.edu/biocourses/N100/2k4ch10genetics.html

    According to this study, it is possible.

    It says that phenotype has 75% chance of having widows peak. Phenotype means you can actually observe the widows peak.

    Genotype has a 25% chance of having a widows peak, a 50% chance of carrying the trait, and a 25% chance of neither. Genotype means the widows peak cannot be seen, but it is in the genes. Also for these figures, the widows peak was carried by both sides of the family.
    marybeth927

    Answer by marybeth927 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • I'm a lil confused marybeth does this mean if the gene is carried by both parents that do NOT have a widows peak that there is a 75 percent chance the child could.I don't mean to sound like an idiot just trying to understand.
    Anonymous

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • It means if mom and dad do NOT have a widows peak, but carry the gene, there is a 25% the child will have a widows peak.
    (The widows peak cannot be seen, but is in the gene pool. So an ancestor has had it. 25% chance that the child will have it.)

    If mom or dad HAVE the widows peak, there is a 75% chance the child will have it.
    marybeth927

    Answer by marybeth927 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • yes it's possible.. typically if you look back someone in either of your families will also have a widows peek. ( my brother and I have very defined widows peeks, as does my mom, but neither of her parents do, however her grandfather had one).
    and if you have a girl, they suck, lmao..
    pm me if you ever want styling tips for widows peeks.. i'm a woman with a widows peek and also a stylist. :)
    xxhazeldovexx

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Does that make more sense? If not, I can try again.
    marybeth927

    Answer by marybeth927 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • If both parents CARRY the widows peak gene whether they have one themselves or not, yes it is possible.

    Otherwise, My husband and I would not have a red headed child. But we both (I am a blond and he is black haired) carry the recessive red headed gene there for - one of our 4 children has red hair. And not just red tinted, but a beautiful shade of burnt orange.

    The Gene pool is one big crap shoot. Who is carrying what dominate gene, who is carrying what recessive gene and if both have the same recessive gene, etc.
    twinsplus2more

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN