Breast pump

manual or electric? why?

brookemhowell

Asked by brookemhowell at 12:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried a manual pump but didn't have much luck with it.

I got much better results by just manually expressing the milk using my hand
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• depends on what kind of pumping you plan to do. If it's a once in a great while thing a manual would probably be fine(that's what I used). Anything more I would upgrade to electric. Here is a link with helps on how to pick the right pump for you.  It includes the whys for different types. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumps.html#shopping

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I rented an electric pump with both of my kids (I had trouble latching and pumped full time for several months). With my first I used a Medela Lactina, my 2nd a Medela Symphony, both worked, the Symphony was more comfortable, nicer looking but also pricier. Call around/research prices at local hospitals, if you think you'll only use it for a short time it might be a better deal to rent one. To me it was worth it to 'splurge' ona good pump rather than rely on a manual, get less, and have to pay for formula, bottles, nipples to supplement.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Depends on what you need it for.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• For full time work, double electric.

Manual is great for the occasional bottle.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Electric, Medela Pump in style! The best and even being a SAHM, it helped so much to quickly pump a bottle :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2011