Are we doing something wrong or not rite for him not to say words

my son is only 17 month old but the only words he will say is mum mum mumma (momma)or diddy(daddy)or ging(ginger is our one of three dogs) but he wont say anything other than thoz is there like flash cards i can get or a game or something i can do to get him to say more words or is he just to young

britt2thabrat

Asked by britt2thabrat at 2:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give him time. He will talk whenever he is ready to do so.
    paufonseca

Answer by paufonseca at 2:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Talk to him a lot. Use adult words, not baby talk. By that age, my son was clearly speaking short sentences, but the doctor said he developed early in the language area. The only thing I did was talked to him constantly and I never used baby talk.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Marybeth is right. Talk to him, use clear, adult words. Also, read to him. Read, read, read, every day. It's the biggest indicator of early literacy - more than flashcards or videos or anything else.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• For most kids, not speaking clear words at 17 months, doctors would have an issue and would probably want you to look into speech therapy or something. My son wasn't speaking much by that age, even at 2 he still wasn't speaking much. I took him in, they checked him out (ears and such) and he was fine, he just took longer to speak. Now, he is 4.5 and I can't shut the kid up, lol. If you are worried in any way, I would take him to see his doctor, see what they say!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with youre son and youre not doing nothing wrong , This youre first child? I found with my first child that well maybe i was doing something wrong. But i wasnt i just had to keep talking to her and she picked up on words in no time.....Just keep talking before you know it you can1t get them to quit talking...With my second child everything was easeir because my second child was so anxious to follow her sister she got out of her walker at 6mnths old and took off walking...Of course i was like no no no while you are so anxious for youre first child to walk talk they aree it comes sooner then you think.... into everything...have patienc

mommysangel543

Answer by mommysangel543 at 3:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I like Bellarose0212's answer: read to him! but he's only 17 months, so I wouldn't be worried yet. One of my kids didn't start saying words we could understand until she was nearly THREE! and now she's a happy healthy smart 16 year old, doing brilliantly in school. She certainly is not slow at all. I wonder whether babies who are slow to talk are actually more content to LISTEN and maybe it's a sign of higher than normal intelligence!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• As long as you and daddy and interacting with him and talking to him he will learn when he is ready, even if its later than you expect. My daughter was barely speaking at 3 and I beat myself up over it, doc said it was nothing I did turns out she was developmentally behind and may have autism spectrum
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 3:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• yes he is my first one and i read to him three times a day its odd that when he wants to play he will walk in his room and drag out a book and put it in my lap
    britt2thabrat

Comment by britt2thabrat (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• So he knows what he wants, he just can't vocalize it yet. You're doing what you should be. Keep reading to him, keep talking to him. Just make sure you're interacting with him. "This is a red apple. Isn't red pretty." "Let's get your green train. The wheels are circles. What can it do? it makes noise." Things like that. Even though he isn't talking, ask him questions and keep him involved. You should have a well child coming up, so you could ask the doctor about his speech then. Kids learn at different paces.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 3:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• thank you moms so much i will be trying it all out
    britt2thabrat

Comment by britt2thabrat (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011