How do you keep your child in their own bed all night and teach them to fall asleep on their own?

My daughter wants either mommy or daddy to lay with her until she falls asleep (our fault for doing that to start with). What suggestions do you have for breaking that habit along with keeping her in her own bed all night long.
Thanks.

JMcVeigh

Asked by JMcVeigh at 1:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Parents magazine had a good article on this a couple of years ago. It was a ten day program to get baby to put him/herself to sleep. It started with the parent sitting in a chair by the child's bed and patting the child now and then, but saying, "Time to go to sleep, baby." The next night, you moved the chair away from the crib so that you could no longer touch the child, but she/he could see you. You repeat the phrase, "Go to sleep, baby." and other soothing phrases, but YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE BABY. The next night the chair is farther away, and the next night it is outside the baby's door, where he can hear you, but NOT SEE YOU. This goes on, until at the end of the ten day period, the child is putting himself to sleep. One of the young monthers in the class I was working in tried this and it worked for her. The secret is to remain firm but comforting. Hope this helps. Barb
    barbwdoxies

Answer by barbwdoxies at 1:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Ok I am not taking the credit for this one but Super Nanny one of my favorite shows was helping with just this last night. There is a routine of reading a book or a little cuddle then a kiss good night and leave the room. If the child comes out the first time you say it is time for bed darling and but them back in the bed the second time just it is time for bed and put them in the bed after that each time they come out you just put them back to bed with no words at all. She says within a night or 2 it works. I have 3 kids all grown but all slept in thier own beds alone without an issue. I say try her way and see. Let us know how it goes and good luck
    beam

Answer by beam at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i'm a bad mom, i put on a 30 minute video
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 1:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think I'm trying answer number one tonight .....answer 2 doesnt seem like its working for us anymore....my 3 year old is so strong willed!
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Danners - you are not a bad mom - I think that what ever works and allows you to get your space back on YOUR bed is good. A rested mom is a much happier mom, and if your married, well we all know the benefit of not having a toddler in the bed anymore . . .LOL.
    4sailor

Answer by 4sailor at 4:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008