What do you do when you can't sleep?

I've been having insomnia lately, I've learned to just go with it and not stress about not sleeping. But I do need to keep busy so what kinds of things do you do when you can't sleep?

DianeMary

Asked by DianeMary at 3:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Health

• I will get up and go in the livingroom (so I don't disturb hubby) an I will do some cleaning, fold laundry, get on the laptop, watch tv/dvd or read. Then when I do get sleepy I will either stay on the futon and sleep there, or I will go back to bed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Listen to music on my phone or clean something. Usually I unload the dishwasher and watch the Golden Girls!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm the same way. I have trouble falling sleep and staying sleep sometimes. I sometimes read with one of those clip lights on my book. Lately, TV helps me a lot. I'll just put it on a sitcom or something (no news) and the next thing I know I'm sleepy. If none of those things help, I sometimes get up and go to my computer and just surf. I also like to scrap book, watch a movie, organize a drawer or something, just catching up with things I have to do. The possibilities are endless.
    Lavendar oil is supposed to be really good too. I read in an aromatherapy book that you can put just one drop on a cotton ball and put it near your pillow and it'll help you relax and sleep. Also, try not to drink anything cafinated after 4 or 5 p.m.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I read mostly, sometimes watch a movie. I have always had issues falling asleep at night, I am just not a good nighttime sleeper. So I have found reading helps best.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Read or watch a tv show, do crossword puzzles or sudoku, have my hubby rub my back (if he's not already asleep. I envy that he can fall asleep anytime, anywhere, on the drop of a dime.)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i play game on my cell phone :P
    Asifa

Answer by Asifa at 3:44 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• dishes, fold laundry, read, get on here, snuggle with DH, pet the cats, sweep the kitchen, lay on the sofa with my favorite blanket, water the outside plants with the water can and watch the outside wild animals that walk through the neighborhood at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That's entirely untrue, Nicoles2. Melatonin is all natural and non-habit forming.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 6:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• go in the backyard with a blanket and admire the stars
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my inability to sleep is related to depression and borderline personality disorder, my doc put me on trazadone (along with my other meds) which is a sleep aid with antidepressant qualities and I need it refilled but until hubby gets paid again things like food and gas and the electric bill are a little more important so I am just looking for things to keep me occupied while I am up.
    DianeMary

Comment by DianeMary (original poster) at 3:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2011