What other disapline can i do

i tell my 3 ye that if she dont pick up her toys i will pack them up an take them away. Am she said ok mommy u can. so i packed them up it didnt fase her a bit after a little bit i started bring back some little by little an she still wont pick them up. so she has had them away for like a month an she dont care. i tell her i will take away her tv she says ok an thats that i dont know what else to do to show her responsability to recpect an pick stuff up after herself. an we r soon to be haven another child. An am like going crazy like what do i do we tryed ok play with one thing then put it away nope so then i tryed helping her pick up after nope nothing. The onlything i refuse too take away is her education books.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4yr old son is the same way...what works for me is a chair in a corner where he can't play with anything n keep him there for 10min straight and I don't talk to him at all if he gets up I just sit him back down without talking and leave him longer. Whn times up I tell him why he was in time out so he understands then let him get up
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 3:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• thanks i will try anything this is a big help an defff if it works lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We have a clear bin we pack all of their toys into. they can see the toys in "time out" but they can't have them for a day and we add on a few hours and increase the time. DD hates her toys in time out, out of sight out of mind is one thing but seeing them and not having them drives her nuts!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• With this technique you will need:
    1. A small container where the child can put the toys.
    2. A cheering response.
    3. A reward/prize (it is not a bribe)
    At the moment that mom wants the child to pick up the toys. Mom approaches the child with the bucket and asks the child to place 1 toy in the bucket. The child puts the toy in the bucket and moms approves by saying "Good Job! now let's go to play with play- dough" (or any other activity that mom might want to share with the child, such as doing laundry, doing the dishes, making cookies, etc. The next time mom will request for the child to pick up two toys. And so...
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Keep your demands very specific and only give one at a time because they get overwhelmed. Just saying pick up your toys isn't direct enough. Be specific, like go put that toy in your toy box, or put your puzzles here, etc You might have to give specific directions for each toy. Or To make it fun, I get out a laundry basket and my DD and I "race" to see who can put the most toys in the basket. I then put most of them away because she's too young to understand how I like them organized, but she does get small jobs as I'm putting them away, like go put this doll in your toy box, etc.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Out of sight, out of mind. Put them where she can see them and do not allow her to play with them for a couple of days. She'll see them and want to play and then you can explain to her why she can't. This will bring enough discussion to teach her that they have to be put away. You can make her promise to pick them up when she's done playing and if she doesn't, you can take them away again. You can also make a game out of picking them up. Put up a timer or count and see how "fast" you can get it done.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Teaching a child to pick up takes time, and there are steps involved. First, don't have too many toys out at once. It is a great idea to put away most of her toys and rotate them. That way she can never make a huge mess that she cannot possibly clean up. Next, make it easy for her to pick up. You might have colorful storage bins, with a picture of the toy that goes in that bin taped to the bin. Or you can spread a sheet on the floor to play with toys that have a ton of pieces, like legos. Then to pick up the legos, you just gather the sheet up and stuff it in a box. Have a pick up time several times a day. We pick up toys before am snack, before lunch, before pm snack, and before bed. Make this routine, and it will get easier with time. Have a reward - when you pick up all the toys, you can have a sticker. Or snack. Or a star on a star chart. This doesn't work for all children. Make it a game. "You pick up all the red ."
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2011