In-laws

I have a very annoying brother-in -law. He is always sharing his opinion about my relationship with his brother with everyone and he always makes stupid comments, he thinks he is funny but the truth is he is very immature and ignorant. He has caused me some big arguments with my husband. what can I do??? Please don't say just ignore him because I have and it has not worked.

paufonseca

Asked by paufonseca at 4:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• What does your husband say about this? Could he talk to his brother and make him understand if not maybe
    they could visit somewhere else if he cant respect your feelings.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 4:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Honestly I would make personal embarssing opinions about his life back...but I'm awlful lk that I have no prob. Tell you what I think...and also whe he says his "funny" stuff...id tell him "that wasn't even funny dude just stupid" also to be a bitch (my bf taught me this) when he's telling a stupid long story just say "cool story bro" or "cool story" and nothing else lol like I said though I'm rude lk that...as for ur hunny have u told him how u feel I'm sorry y'all fight :(
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 4:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I guess I just don't want to fight because they're very close but it does bother me that he can do the same but he doesn't. Yes I already talk to my husband but he thinks he is just joking, lately because I have started to argue with him about this issue his position is that I should tell his brother whatever I want but that he is not going to get in the way because he is his brother. His brother and I had a big argument because he hurt my child, and once I confronted him my husband defended him arguing that he trusted him because he was his big brother and he had taken care of him when he was a child. I was pissed off and I threatned him with calling the police if he ever touched my kid again. But it did hurt me to see that he did not support me, I mean I did not want him to get physical or anything like that but I expected more respect for my child but no he kept going to his brother's house as if nothing happened
    paufonseca

Comment by paufonseca (original poster) at 4:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• O wow...ya I'm sorry but when my kids involved I'm a whole nother story...ill hurt u...ur husband should have taken ur side for sure u have every right to be upset about that...I mean that's his own child!!!....how sad I'm sorry :( ...my ex (my sons father) thinks about his family more than his son...trys to get me to send him the back child support money I get for his brothers funeral ($3000) when me n my son had struggled so hard that year ..I understood his brother died (was murderd) but I didn't understand y I had to pay...I said I was really sorry but no cuz my son comes first...it was prob mean but my sne was 8 months old..I didn't have any money for formula for lk 2 nights I had to use creamer I felt so aweful about not being able to properly feed my baby!...and he had the nerve to ask for money back he did it again this year..askd for the 3grand back pay back for a apt. (With his gf n her kids) I cussed him out
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 5:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ur husband should have told his brother something...men don't think like us though...if he won't say anything..don't be afraid to
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 5:31 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ignoring the bro in law doesn't work and your hubby won't stand up for you so it may be time to refuse to go to outings with the brother in law and keep the kids away from him aswell since he did hurt you child and your husband still didn't stand up for you. Perhaps then hubby will get the hint. My mom got to a point with my dad where she told him that he was to deal with his family and she was deal with hers and they don't often go to family gatherings together but it has saved a lot of fighting
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 5:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would talk to hubs and ask him to say something if not tell brother in law to grow up
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Families should be close, however it's your DH responsibility to protect you. Although nowadays since women wanted equal rights, men don't feel they have to protect women. I would just tell your DH that until his brother grows up when he is around, you wouldn't be and just go somewhere else.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• What's the deeper reason for him doing these kinds of things to you? I mean, is it dislike? Is he like this with everyone or just you? Some people that are just immature grow up eventually but you can't hurry that along really. You can tell him to grow up but it might not work. Have you actually told him to stop and that it bothers you and causes problems? ....I would be wondering WHY he makes it a point to do this or considers it his business. Sometimes when you can find the deeper issue , you can straighten things out. I don't know much other than what you've told us so, that's all I can say.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Talk to your husband. Tell him it bothers you with the things his brother says. Maybe than he can talk to his brother!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011