Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I overcome my anxiety about my special needs child and self.

I am a stay at home Mom who is receiving public assistance. I have a child with behavior problems that do not allow for him to attend outside school. I am a single Mom that can not work or go to school because of it. I'm struggling to survive on $516.00 a month. I really want to work or go to school, and not depend on the government. Before I became a parent, I worked and made decent money. Now, I struggle to make car payments, rent and keep utilities running on such a low income. Daycare is not an option, as his behavior is too out of control and requires one on one constantly. He was diagnosed with ADHD, Mood Disorder, and Sensory filtering Disorder. I love him so much, I know he can't help it own his own. I feel stuck and unproductive and sinking in debt from just the basics in life. Can't leave him with anyone so that I can work, I get calls soon after I leave to come pick him up. Can't do anything. Feeling discouraged and anxiety stricken. I hardly have money to gas up the car to take him to therapy, Missed so many appointments due to lack of gas money to get there. I have no help from anyone. He hasn't had his Father since 2006. I feel like I am drowning. Hard for me to be a good motivator in homeschooling, it takes lots of energy and all day to complete little tasks as his sensory integration gets in the way and his ADHD doesn't allow for sitting any length of time. I really need help.. Any advise will be appreciated. I know some of you have been through things as tough as this, please share with me. How were you able to overcome your troubles?
Denise M. Smith
Feel free to write me a personal message if you want to send me some advice.
My little Bran'boo and I Thank you ladies sooooooo Much an advance.

Answer Question

Asked by Avitar at 4:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 11 (631 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • R u serious

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • if the school is saying he cant attend,they need to provide you with a teacher to help out if nothing more. I too have a special needs son(see my homepage) for utilities you can get on the PIPP plus,you pay a set amount monthly. We are a family of 3 living off my son's SSI,i too was getting calls saying he was sick,or appointments needed to be kept,no job was willing to put up with my crazy schedule.Are you on state medical,if yes most(if not all) even if you have a car provide cab service to medical appointments. Try using local bus service to conserve gas. We dont own a car,we depend on buses/cabs. Good luck

    Answer by RobinChristine at 6:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Thanks RobinChristine! I have already tried the one on one thing with a shadow teacher in class. That was worse as it was like a walking handicap sign all through the school, and my son suffered from the micro-management. It made him suffer stomach pains anxiety in the mornings about going to class and being teased in school. I have had to quit every other other obligation to tend to my Son. This is why we now homeschool. You and I are going through a similar thing, aren't we? I will apply for SSI. I have never heard of PIPP What does that acronym stand for? We have to drive, as we would have to walk down a long way to get to a bus stop. He is 7 years of age with Sensory integration problems,Mood Disorder and ADHD. The bus isn't going to do for us. Conservation on car gas is great, but not in my case. You do have good tips ! THANKS.:-)

    Comment by Avitar (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • Check with your local mental health/developmental disabilities department about getting a one on one worker to come into to your home for a few hours a day to help with behavioral issues, educational issues and ADL's, often falls under the CAP program, but there are other county based programs in our area that help as well. It could be a big help to you and having another adult around specifically trained to deal with your son's issues could provide you with a little break.

    Answer by Kimedbs at 9:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • The school CANNOT keep your son out. My son has ADHD and behavior problems. His attention span is NIL and his behaviors, well, let's just say they're rough. He just finished 4 year old preschool with the help of TSS, and a behavior specialist. Go check out the website,  He is guaranteed a Free Appropriate Public Education in the Least Restrictive Environment.  And if your son needs TSS, that's OK.  

    Believe me, I know how you ladies feel.  I'm a single mom and I had a great job, but with all of his appointments, I had to leave it to take a job where I could work evenings or nights. 


    Answer by TARARENEE at 10:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

  • PIPP= Percentage Income Payment Plan
    monthly I pay $40.00 to both gas and electric

    Answer by RobinChristine at 2:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Just for fun or laughs

Next question overall (Relationships)