Financial prison, please help.

I am a stay at home Mom who is receiving public assistance. I have a child with behavior problems that do not allow for him to attend outside school. I am a single Mom that can not work or go to school because of it. I'm struggling to survive on $516.00 a month. I really want to work or go to school, and not depend on the government. Before I became a parent, I worked and made decent money. Now, I struggle to make car payments, rent and keep utilities running on such a low income. Daycare is not an option, as his behavior is too out of control and requires one on one constantly. He was diagnosed with ADHD, Mood Disorder, and Sensory filtering Disorder. I love him so much, I know he can't help it own his own. I feel stuck and unproductive and sinking in debt from just the basics in life. Can't leave him with anyone so that I can work, I get calls soon after I leave to come pick him up. Can't do anything. Feeling discouraged and anxiety stricken. I hardly have money to gas up the car to take him to therapy, Missed so many appointments due to lack of gas money to get there. I have no help from anyone. He hasn't had his Father since 2006. I feel like I am drowning. Hard for me to be a good motivator in homeschooling, it takes lots of energy and all day to complete little tasks as his sensory integration gets in the way and his ADHD doesn't allow for sitting any length of time. I really need help.. Any advise will be appreciated. I know some of you have been through things as tough as this, please share with me. How were you able to overcome your troubles?

Avitar

Asked by Avitar at 4:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Please read cafemom guidelines.
    "7. Don't ask other members for help in the form
    of money, gifts or donations.
    We appreciate the stress on you and your family
    resulting from financial pressures, however, it is
    not acceptable at this cafe to ask another member
    for money, goods or services. Instead, you can..."
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Cont....
    "Instead, you can
    suggest that members donate to official charities
    (like the Red Cross or March of Dimes). We have
    compiled a list of organizations that provide help."
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would look into legal aid (free or low cost lawyers) and see about child support. On top of that look to your local community for food banks and help with bills, apply for food grants and talk to your local church via email or phone and see if there is a special needs support group for you and your son's needs to be met. you need social interaction and coping help and he needs discipline, medication (perhaps) and a chance at a normal life. Welfare, govt housing.. many programs out there.. don't beg on cafemom, it's a no no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• What about disabilty for your son? Churches calling 211 on your phone can also put you in touch with agencies to help you.  Your local foodstamp office maybe able to help you.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I agree, can you get disability for him or social securtiy? I would check out the food banks and churches as well. I would love to chat with you. Message me, maybe I can help...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Not cool
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 6:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Look at Cafemomoftwo217's comment. She says " We appreciate the stress on you and your family
    resulting from financial pressures. Really??.. Moving on... I appreciate the nice comment and suggestions from the ones who had good ideas, Thank you so much! xoxoxo
    Avitar

Comment by Avitar (original poster) at 7:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm glad you edited your post. Your Paypal email account shouldn't be post here. You never know who are you dealing with here. Again, It was good that you edited your post. Safety first!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ~ I'm sorry you though that those were my words. I just copied and pasted the transcript from Cafemom Guidelines.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I finally woke on this site. Wow, that is all I can say. Gl Momma and stay strong.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011