why do kids ask...Why?

I could understand something educational but to ask for something and I say no then they ask why? and they won't leave me alone until I say because I say so or until I get very upset with them. Then they stop. I don't like that of them but I love the XXXX out of them...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you know my daughter use to ask me that all the time until ... everytime she would ask me why i would say " why do think i said no emma?" and she would have to think about an answer so she got tired of me asking her why and she stopped it took a litletime but she stopped after about 2 weeks...
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Listen your the mom, I would not put up with that very long.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Its normal for a child to ask why or why not. Come up with an easy reason why they can or can't do something. Its part of their curiosity and its part of them growing up. because I said so isn't good enough for them. Theres nothing wrong with them asking WHY because we all do it but maybe in a different way. This is also how they learn. Give them an honest reason why they can't do something. Curious minds are a wonder. Both of my daughters did this and I wouldn't trade all the why's and why nots for anything.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i think this what i call the why stage i have twins so u can imagine what my life is and they r really curious about everything :) but i am with the first answer i mean what u should do
    it gives kids a chance to think if u asked them why ? or why do they think u said so
    fire

Answer by fire at 8:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• They are learning about the world and about themselves. Possibly they are only mildly interested in an answer but mainly want the interaction and attention. It is a good thing to encourage the questions and to answer fully. If the child isn't really interested they will either slow down on the question asking or they will actually learn something. If you don't know the answer, go and try to find the answer- on the computer, in the library, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 11:48 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My kids figured out very young that I love to teach them new things. They discovered that asking me a question (like "why") would prolong our conversation and make me talk when I otherwise might be busy with something else. Sometimes I just tell them I'm tired of "why" questions and won't answer any more for a while.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 9:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I never say "because I said so" I would not accept that as a reason so I will not use it. Let me give you an example of how I avoid the "why?".

Son: Mom can I have a cookie and some milk?
    Me: No. Dinner is in 20 minutes and it would spoil your appetite.
    Son: *sigh* Oh, ok.

I give an answer and a reason so the why doesn't need to come up. Granted there are times "why?" happens and I tell him my reasoning, which usually ends it. It's a matter of respect.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 1:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I find that asking them to answer the question helps quite a bit. To some extent they are asking to learn, learn their limits learn your reasons, sometimes they are asking to extend a conversation, and sometimes to just wear you down.
    Asking them to answer makes them think it through, and it also give you a clue as to what they are absorbing about you and the world around them. Not to mention a window into their wierd little thoughts. but i must agree sometimes its just frustrating.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i love it when my daughter asks me why..its because they want to know the reason or if you are telling the truth.....
    Aaliehs

Answer by Aaliehs at 9:11 AM on Jan. 8, 2009