Why are so many people rude and crude with their comments?

My husband two boys and I were walking in the park yesterday evening and there was several other people walking also;

There was one group that was all teenagers and when they walked past us we could hear them snicker and making comments under their breath the one kid though was loud and obnoxious said "yeah you guys need to be out walking you're all so fat that you take up the entire path and need the exercise and could go without eating for a few meals."

We just kept on walking but my 9 year old said to me "Mom why did that kid make that comment? That was mean and hurtful"

What would you have done or said and what would you tell your child--I told him that some people are just mean that way and don't know how to respect others.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am sorry this happened to your family. Ignore them and keep walking.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't have ignored that I would have told them watch there mouths and I also would have told them that was rude esp if they were teenagers and then kept walking proud with my chubby family ( I am a big girl )
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 7:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• teenagers say rude things all the time, usually when I hear a rude comment and my kids around I say something like -- that was rude or mean wasn't it? Then tell them to make sure they don't let ugly words come out of their mouths as it is hurtful. It's a lesson of kindness in reverse.

Good for you walking!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I agree I think explaining it the way you did to your son was the right thing. I tell my kids the same thing, I also tell them that you don't have to like everyone but you have to always be nice to everyone. So even if someone is mean it doesn't mean you get to be mean and hurtful back. I remind them that some people aren't taught how to behave appropriately and some people might have their feelings hurt some how by others and it makes them act the way they do and that is very sad.
    It's a shame that kids act like that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• So sorry. You did the right thing about telling your child that some people are just mean in general. This world today is very sad and there is no respect for adults anymore. I as a parent, I would not be proud of that young man and I would hope that his mother and farther would not be either. Hugs to you. XOXO
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You did right. I would have just added that he should never become that way or people will think he is rude too. Most children are not taught respect anymore. But if you look at the parents, they are the same way.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would have explained it the same way, i tell my son all the time, that many people are rude and hurtful and he is to never be that way. I tell him if he doesn't like his feelings to be hurt, never ever tr to hurt anyone elses. He's only 6 and is very careful at his comments. Pay no attention to people like that.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My husband would have probably put the fear of god into him,, too bad you didn't follow them home, so you could tell their parents,, LOL!I think explaining it to your son the way you did was the best thing to do,, ugg teenagers,,, I am really dreading it!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ignoring them was the best thing ---it takes away ther power to hurt.
    Explain that some people have not been raised well and that their rude behavior will get them in trouble as they go through life.
    It would be just as bad to answer them back or to hit them....then you would lower yourself to their level.
    Be the more mature person in situations like that.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• So sorry you had to listen to that. Unfortunately, people are obnoxious. I think it is worse to be fat than anything else (personal experience) It's almost "cool" to be gay. People have empathy for those with disabilities, or even those with Down's, but they continue to insult and degrade the obese. They act like we are this way because we have no willpower. They think we are gluttons, and have no self-restraint. They don't know how much we diet, or try to make lasting changes. They don't think that many overweight people actually eat LESS than their skinny peers, we just have sluggish metabolisms.

I probably wouldn't have said anything to the teens, although I would have wished I had. I seldom stand up to people. And you were right to explain to your child that some people are rude and thoughtless. One more thing I might have done, is to suggest to my child that we needed to pray for the thoughtless teen.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2011