Best crafts to sell online? etsy, ebay etc, what sells more?

I am having a really hard time finding a job here on post, we live overseas so I have to work on post which really limits job opportunities. I tried doing an in home daycare for military kids but the certifying agency turned me down due to something in my or my hubby's background check and they wont tell us what it was. (i was told most likely cause i used to see a shrink for anxiety and its on my record) so Im thinking I need to make money from home, if I can at least pull in $400 a month I would be happy. It is all going to our savings cause we leave the army in a year and need as much of a safety net as possible when we leave. I like being creative , always have so I have been considering etsy but i know most etsy sellers dont make close to $400 a month. I have a sewing machine, im decent with it, i can do some jewelry but would need to practice, i can make banners in photoshop, i can do some artwork with photoshop/sketch but nothing professional, i can make hair flowers and i have made one belly dance hip scarf in my life. with all of that im not sure what i should really make a store for on etsy..i want something that will actually sell lol. what craft items usually sell the most? i dont want to narrow my field just to belly dance crafts cause then my target market is very small, that much i know. im thinking reasonably priced stuff and throwing in some elaborate pieces that are a bit more costly but mostly stuff in a good price range.

i do realize that it will also take marketing and you dont start out making $400 a month, i know this
so what sells the most? if you do etsy or craft fairs etc. what items have you noticed sell faster for you?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• you need to find something unique to you!!! There are so many people selling bows and those things that the market is saturated not saying not to make those part of your store but figure out one thing that will make your store stand out from the rest you know what mean.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 1:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Hair bows are really hard to sell. I started off making them several months ago and only sold 2. I just started selling jewelry about a week ago and already have 2 sells. I'm thinking I'm going to work on jewelry more than hair bows. I say start off offering a little bit of everything until you figure out what sells best and then you'll know what to concentrate on. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Craigslist and ebay, also try local flea markets, learn how to barter in the local language

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 1:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2011