What homemade items to sell online (etsy/ebayetc) what sells the best?

I am having a really hard time finding a job here on post, we live overseas so I have to work on post which really limits job opportunities. I tried doing an in home daycare for military kids but the certifying agency turned me down due to something in my or my hubby's background check and they wont tell us what it was. (i was told most likely cause i used to see a shrink for anxiety and its on my record) so Im thinking I need to make money from home, if I can at least pull in $400 a month I would be happy. It is all going to our savings cause we leave the army in a year and need as much of a safety net as possible when we leave. I like being creative , always have so I have been considering etsy but i know most etsy sellers dont make close to $400 a month. I have a sewing machine, im decent with it, i can do some jewelry but would need to practice, i can make banners in photoshop, i can do some artwork with photoshop/sketch but nothing professional, i can make hair flowers and i have made one belly dance hip scarf in my life. with all of that im not sure what i should really make a store for on etsy..i want something that will actually sell lol. what craft items usually sell the most? i dont want to narrow my field just to belly dance crafts cause then my target market is very small, that much i know. im thinking reasonably priced stuff and throwing in some elaborate pieces that are a bit more costly but mostly stuff in a good price range.

i do realize that it will also take marketing and you dont start out making $400 a month, i know this
so what sells the most? if you do etsy or craft fairs etc. what items have you noticed sell faster for you?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• jewelry always sells good, if you're good at making jewelry.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• A friend of mine makes cute baby room signs. She puts the child's name on it along with birthdate and other information they want on it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:27 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't think there is any specific items that sell more than others, I think it will really depend on you and targeting the right people. Like the belly dance scarf, perhaps you can make inexpensive postcards on vistaprint and mail those out to dance studios that offer belly dancing classes. The hair bows and such, having a facebook like page and creating a facebook ad showing one of your best designs might help get clicks or even doing any local craft fairs or selling to other moms around you.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I sell hair accessories.. but I found I sell more thru word of mouth than the internet . good luck!
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 5:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Depends on your audience - I would think pet accessories would sell, people are still spending money on their pets.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Hair bows!
    http://veeshusbowtique.storenvy.com/
    VeeshusBowtique

Answer by VeeshusBowtique at 3:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2011