My restaurant idea...what do you think?

My dh and I had talked about opening up a business when we retire. One we talked about was a sort of in restaurant daycare. When you come in you can check your child into a special play area. Childrens menu's would be served there and there would be video camera's in the room with monitors at the tables. This way you could have a nice dinner without worrying about the kids and finding a sitter.

Our other idea is to open a restaurant that has two separate area's. One for couples who prefer a nice evening out without the interruption of children. The other side would be for families. The one side could be set up as a fine dining establishment. The other side would be set up with paper table clothes and crayons, televisions with cartoons, and stuff like that but serve the same nice food.

Which would you use more?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I like the second idea. It would accommodate both couples wanting a quiet romantic meal, and families. The reason I am less enthusiastic about the first idea is that families may want their children to learn to eat with them in a restaurant setting.

Answer by Bmat at 8:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Bmat--- The first would just be an option for families. Children would be allowed in the restaurant as well. It would be more for families who want their child closer and don't feel comfortable with babysitters or what not.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It sounds like you are trying to market an idea with to many targets audiences. I am not sure how you appeal to all of them at once and have good results. Your advertising focus would be to broad to really push the business and build a clientele. You pass out fliers which side do you pushinthe advertising. If you do both would there be room to express each aspect well without it looking cluttered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Depends on how sound proof the walls are that separate the family area and non family area.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 8:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• second one is cool !!! we have this kind of restaurant here i even see some in Paris ... good luck in ur business ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 8:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I like the second idea the best! You should send it in to the food network, perhaps they will help you get an early start!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• the one with two sides
    carol1085

Answer by carol1085 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• With a concept like this, you may want to consider devoting it to families or just couples. It is difficult and impossible to please everyone. From my experience, people who don't have children find it challenging dealing with the rambunctious and emotional behavior coming from young children. In summary, I liked your first idea better.
    CarlaAna

Answer by CarlaAna at 8:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• go for it!! You might start a chain that would put McDonald's out of business
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We have a resturant in our town that caters to both family dining and fine dining and we've always loved it! Not exactly fine dining, but rather dining w/o kids. They offer good food, reasonable prices and the atmosphere is always great! Sounds like you're on the right track!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2011