Is there a diet thats better for children with aspergers syndrome? foods to avoid?

carol1085

Asked by carol1085 at 8:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I have heard to go Gluten free, dye free and I can't remember what all my sister in law said but she went through a whole lot of drs and changing our nephews eating habits stuck him on some kind of vitamins and I really don't know what else.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ther are a lot of suggestions. I personally have not tried a complete limited diet with my DS. I have removed HFCS and dyes. You can also a gluten and casein free diet. Ther are also dietary are supplements out there. There is a a suggestion of a cocktail of b6,magnesium and DHA/fish oil. There is others as well... There are holistic meds that are said to help with the concentration and attitude. I am still researching...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• gluten free food nothing containing gains.  natural food section in local groceries stores carry many  gluten free products. my child doesn't have it but a coworker of mine has a child with it . My SD has to be on a gluten free diet due to digestive disorder no bread, pasta crackers. alot of other sauces and condiments have gluten in them

country85

Answer by country85 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• as a mother of a child who has this condition i've never found a diet thats worked to control ds 9's condition ...its taken a combination of meds, therapy, and learning a new way to parent that has done the trick....and yes ds was tested for allergies to any and all things...he doesnt have any...

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son has aspergers, and I do not use a special diet for him. I have heard of the GF/CF diet, and it had mixed reviews- some it worked for, others it did not. I really did not feel like changing our lifestyle and changing his diet for something that might/might not work. Instead we are going the therapy/meds route, and that is working out quite well for us.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• gluten free and casein free. Have him tested for food sensitivities. Dr's thought my son was aspergers. Just highly sensitive to several foods. Removed the foods and have a new child. Ask for a RAST test food panel for IgG & IgE antibodies.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2011