How do you deal with severe PMS?

When I notice it, I take an over-the counter PMS med(which barely works), but my case is very severe, which is bad because I am under a ton of stress under normal conditions.

AprilSoprano

Asked by AprilSoprano at 9:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Health

• Try some other relaxation techniques. Have a cup of tea. Grab a book. Use a foot spa. Actually stressing makes the PMS worse, but the stress is coming from the PMS, it's a vicious cycle. Have your hormone levels checked. Sometimes its due to problems with your body or hormonal birth control.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• See your doctor. My PMS was horrid! I'd literally have one good, emotionally normal week out of the month! My doctor prescribed Celexa and recommended a diet low in sugar and moderate exercise.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Lexylex, that sounds just like me.
    AprilSoprano

Comment by AprilSoprano (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Stop eating sugar, and exercise, whenever I do that (which is really frickin hard) I have virtually ZERO pms. I start my period and am shocked because my dh and I didn't fight the few days before, and i didn't pms. Good luck!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• tea can make you more stressed out actually
    change your conditions that make you stressed ie rid stuff you don't need in your house, make more space, ask for help from others with cleaning, get 8 hours of sleep no matter what (tell your fam it's for your new health kick), see a therapist like i do and it really helps (because i can say my therapist told me to)...
    reduce your main stressers first and EXERCISE! i can feel my anxiety being relieved every time i walk up a flight of stairs, it's crazy
    these will help you with your PMS (which you might want to do research since it could be more than just PMS)
    exercise, exercise, exercise
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 21, 2011