Do you understand the Unions and what they represent to the American worker????

How many of you understand the workings of the unions and what they mean to the American worker??? We enjoy wage laws and employment practices because of the unions. Do we really want to break the unions and go back to having companies that don't have to have safety practices, fair wages, health benefits, retirement benefits??? How many have a brick layer, electrical engineer, labor worker, auto worker,steel worker, coal miner, even office workers and garbage men in your families??? If they are protected on the job by the union rules and regulations, do you really want them to go walking steel or working underground without that protection and safety????? We are blaming the worker for the mismanagement and greed of the top regime of companies when the blame should go exactly there. To the top.

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• We in the south have never had unions and we are doing just fine.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 10:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My husband works for company who don't want anything to do with Union. It's a sad thing. Company owners are so ignorant ,don't follow the bacis safty measures. They act like they are above the law.
    One worker just quit the other day and let safty inspectors now what is going on.
    Sometimes we need Unions ,workers need somebody who will protect them.My husband even went over his boss head and was talking to the Army Commander.He works inside the ARMY BASE.
    Anonymous

• I would not say the south is just fine without Unions. I live in a right to work state and coming from a state with Unions, I miss Unions.They protect employees from big business. Salaries are exceptional low in the state I live in currently and an employer can fire you for any reason they see fit WITHOUT explanation. Unions are VERY important and should not be undermined. If Unions are defiled workers will suffer by decreased wages, unfair work practices, unsafe work environments, etc. Big business will benefit financially from this and is waiting to seize this opportunity to enslave the average worker yet again. The formation of Unions was a hard battle and should not be undone.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 11:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I live and work in the South now, again. There is a big lack of unions in the South and wages are much lower than in the North. Yet I find the cost of living comparable, quite comparable to the Northern city I come from. I have seen more employment abuses while working in the South. Seems managers believe they are above any employment laws, especially in a right to work law state. Years ago while working in the South..I had the need of EEOC help. I was told in my state without a union contract..the employer didn't have to have a definitive, verifiable reason to fire you. EEOC told me.."You can be fired for parting your hair on the wrong side of your head, as determined by the employer"!!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 12:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I have many relatives that work in jobs that require them to belong to a union. Their unions do not work for them and have not done anything recently to help them. They know the unions today are about money and power. Unions were useful and helpful but now they are not for the people they claim to represent.  The reason jobs are shipped overseas is because Americans want cheap stuff.  You cannot make cheap goods when people want to make 30 an hour to push a button.  My brother is an engineer for Ford and the waste perpetuated by the union rules is staggering.   Unions have outlived their usefulness. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Oh yes, years ago i worked in a retail store chain called COOKS(UNCLE BILLS) . they were unionized and after 13yrs we were all out of a job. They us got more money all right at the end of each contract until the chain could not afford keeping us any longer. We were like family in that store and if we had the opportunity to vote for or not keeping the union..IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NOT TO..
    yiayiaann

Answer by yiayiaann at 7:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I believe that a business has the right to run its business like it wants to. It shouldn't have to be forced to pay outrageous wages. Yep autoworkers down here make a lot less than those up north, but guess what our cost of living is a lot less also. Most employers have a good reason to fire. They do not invest the time nor the money in training employees just so that they can fire them for no valid reason. Usually there is a valid reason. Unions are nothing more than glorified mobs. If the big three didn't have to deal with the unions and there unreasonable demands then they might not be facing bankruptcy. My opinion, don't like the way we do business down here, go back up north.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 9:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• "Do we really want to break the unions and go back to having companies that don't have to have safety practices, fair wages, health benefits, retirement benefits?"

I've never worked for a union, but OSHA applies to all businesses, not just unions. The safety laws are in place and are not going anywhere. The non-unionized companies I've worked for all offered fair wages, health benefits, and retirement benefits. Yes, there are companies that don't offer these benefits. However, whether unions exist or not, there will always be companies that don't offer benefits.

The unions represent only a small minority of people in this country. And many of those people have recently lost their jobs because of the bad economy and near-bankrupt companies. Those workers can't choose to work for a non-union company, or they will be kicked out of the union. How does that help those workers?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:13 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I have been saying this for years. You are right on. I know someone who worked in a right-to-work state and the family had to buy their own health insurance which they barely could afford. The final straw was that his boss didn't pay him for a job because of a loophole he fond in the RTW laws. Sounds lovely and that is where we are headeed but people don't want to listen.
    Lybbie

Answer by Lybbie at 5:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008