S/O of "Soldier for God" Post

I find it interesting that when Christians call themselves "soldiers/warriors of God" it's okay but if another religion claims to be warriors/soldiers of God it's "bad" and "evil" and needs to be stopped. 

Yes, I know that some of the other religions that make this claim murder innocents but Christians have done the same. 

Thoughts?

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 10:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I see what you are talking about and it does seem hypocritical. On the "bright" side, the non-Christian soldiers for God probably see those Christians as bad and evil, too - so it all balances.

As a Christian, I don't consider myself to be a soldier of God and, as Jesus taught a message of peace and love, I think they are missing the boat on the real purpose of Christianity (Blessed are the Peace Makers). It's that kind of mentality that led to the Crusades.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm surprised at you. After all that was explained in the other post about the spiritual aspect, you're attempting to tack on the obvious-extremists' (wbc? terrorists?) actions to this simple terminology. We can't rewrite history, op. So maybe the 'battle' still rages, to win Love, not Hate.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It's a figure of speech unless you actually have an arsenal or plans for causing physical harm to anyone.  It's the intention behind the words that matter. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I am surprised as well- its not like the OP to stretch like this but....

People can call themselves whatever they like- its when they take the next step into violence that the issues arise- Do you believe that the people here on CM that label themselves as God Warriors are organizing something on a grand scale?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Okay, I didn't read all the responses from the other post, so I don't know if this has been addressed, but I will try to answer your question.

The "war" that Christian "soldiers" are on is the battle between the regenerate soul and the corrupt flesh within themselves. Once a person becomes a regenerate believer, they receive a new uncorrupted spirit that desires to be righteous, but since we don't receive new bodies, there is a struggle between our righteous spirit and our unrighteous flesh. That war is won through Sanctification.

Then there is the "war" with sin in the world. This is where the whole sin vs sinner mentality must come into play because the war is not with people. The war is with sinful aspects of culture. This war is waged, not with a "convert of kill" mentality, but rather by being a living example of the Gospel. Our actions have to meet our rhetoric and hopefully entice non-Christians to faith simply ....
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• asmcbride ... I think the term "soldier" has gotten a bad rap over time and so peaceful people don't tend to think of themselves in that regard.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I recognize that there are those Muslims who say that this "convert or kill" command is a misinterpretation of the Qur'an.

Do you see the correlation, though, between the actions and words of many self-proclaimed "warriors" and those extremists? They may not be blowing something up, but emotional abuse is no less terrifying, especially considering who they're primarily focusing it on.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:14 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't call myself a soldier. I just think of myself as a Christian...no further titles or definitions required =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't freak out about other non-christian religions saying they are warriors for God so long as they really aren't violent.

My muslim neighbors beleived Jihad was always meant to mean an internal spiritual battle, not an actual act of hurting or killing others...my neighbors were some of the best, kindest, people I have ever known.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 11:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Although I do not refer to myself as a "soldier" I can respect that answer Eilish.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2011