Should I skip the glucose test?

I'm seriously thinking of skipping the glucose test I am supposed to take tomorrow morning. Even with insurance, this pregnancy will cost a lot for my husband and I to cover. The estimates we have received doesn't cover lab tests. So taking this glucose test will cost even more that what has been estimated. I applied last week for medicaid to cover left over medical costs but they say it will take 10 days to be approved. And the doctor I'm seeing doesn't even take medicaid as secondary insurance. So I will have to switch doctors anyways. I figure I can wait until I get the medicaid then go to the new doctor then take the glucose test.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• just because you have never had it before doesn't mean it can't happen this time, my life and the life of my child are not worth the risk. Besides, do you have any idea how long the application process can be for medicaid?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I wouldn't... the glucose test is cheaper than the complications of gestational diabetes out of control
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No, absolutely NOT!! Why in the hell would you skip a test that could diagnose a very very serious condition???

Untreated gestational diabetes can harm you, can harm your baby, and in the worst, most extreme cases - IT CAN KILL
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No!
    you could have untreated diabetes and seriously harm your and and baby's health!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

Answer by twinsplus2more 8 minutes ago

This exactly. Surely the doctor's office will do a payment plan.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm not skipping the test all together. Just waiting until we go to new doctor and then do the test. This will be my 6th child and I've never had GD before. We are just trying to save some money.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Hmm, never thought about being denied medicaid. We are pretty low income (for having 6 kids) so that never crossed my mind. We are already pursuing a payment plan to cover the costs I've already accrued; I just did want to add additional ones.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• didn't*
    Anonymous

• All pregnancys are different and you may not have had GD with the other kids but whos to say you dont have it with this one. I can understand wanting to save money, but the thought of risking the life of you and your baby is scary. Just get the test done and make payments.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• NO
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011