my four yr old got note home from playskool....

she wont listen to what her teachers are asking her to do,ie tidy up r sometimes joining in with games..shes very strong minded and dosent like been told what to do..shes going to be starting junior infants in sept and her playskool teacher was telling me tat if she dosnt start listening now it could b a problem when she starts skool in sept..we have spoke to her about her behaviour and she has been trying soo hard to do as shes told and we tought she was passed tis,then today a note arrivd home with her saying she got a sad face because she didnt listen and lied about sumting when asked..i feel very helpless and its stressing me out whitch dosnt help the situation.....any advise would b very much appreciated..

snuggieboo

Asked by snuggieboo at 10:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm sorry you are going through this! You aren't helpless! Knowing your child's behavioral patterns, I would look into a new day school that will assist you with her behavioral adjustment. It is great she is strong minded, but it also great to cooperate and listen. A strong, but soft hand is what she will listen too. Many children respond badly to caregivers who are strict.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Part of the reason she is strong minded. My son is 3 and is the same way. I just signed him up in preschool swim lessons and the first day he was horrible but i didn't blame him. The one reason he was really not listening when the instructor told him and his class to get in the water was he thought mommy, daddy and baby brother were all going in with him. Once he got in the water with a little help from me and his father he was doing good for about 10mins, then he started to do the train and the lifeguard told him to get back, finally they got mad enough and put him in between other kids. Yesterday was his second time and he did better than the first time.
    it just might take her longer to adjust to having to listen to other people like my son, depending on when u started her in school
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 10:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Playschool,Preschool,Daycare...they are all good situations to learn and develop social skills in young children to prepare them for future school. All children are different. Ask the teacher at the playschool what she suggests doing to help your daughter along. If she is not helpful in solving the problem, I would search for another playschool or preschool for daughter to attend and go from there.
    Don't worry...everyone has personalities of thier own...some need a little "tweak" in order to get along well with others. Strong willed children grow into independant adults one day...given the proper guidance along the way.
    Good Luck mama
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ask the teacher if they feel that this behavior is normal or if they think she's delayed with being able to follow directions. If the teacher thinks she's behind, call your local IU and have their Early Intervention team evaluate her. At a minimum, they might be able to make some strategy suggestions that will help.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2011