Introducing solids, how much, how often?

How many times a day did you give solids during the first month or so? (Not first month of life, but first month you introduced solids). Our DD is just over 5 mo and we're giving her half jar of baby food mixed with BM once a day around dinner time and she appears to be doing great with it, but she's a pig and if we offered it more often I have no doubt she'd eat more. I also BF at the same feeding. I know I could call the pedi for a text book answer, but I'm just wondering what you all do/did for your LO. Thanks ladies :)

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 10:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse first, solids right after... ANY amount and ANY frequency is fine as long as you nurse first.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• for gwen we started out feeding her bottle first and for 2 feedings a day after her bottle i would feed her what she wanted. sometimes she ate a whoel jar sometimes only a bite or two. always feed bottle first. and each new food feed it for them for a week. by doing this iv leanred not to feed bananas! she turned out to be allergic to them! wierdness! at nearly nine months she eats 1 8oz home made babyfoods after a bottle 3 times a day. and since i know what she can eat i give her 2 or 3 diffrent kinds now a day!
    KittyTussand

Answer by KittyTussand at 3:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• at months I introduced rice cereal once per day I mixed 1 tbsp of cereal with 2 tbsp of breast milk.. once she got up to 2 tbsp of cereal and 2 tbsp of breast milk I introduced pureed peas.. and then each day I would try a new food.. now she is 5 months and 2 wks and has tried every veggie and fruit and has cereal in the morning with a fruit...Breastmilk thru the day and then dinner a meat and a veggie or 2 veggies :) hope this helps
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 5:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We started giving our DS cereal at 3 months.
    Started off at once a day until he got really familiar with it, then went to twice a day.
    And now at 6 months, we give cereal for breakfast with a 4 oz bottle of formula, and at all other mealtimes we feed him a pureed fruit/veggie and a 4 oz bottle. :)

But I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with or what you feel is best.
    It's your child, mothers know best. :)
    We have had 2 different pediatricians for our son and both had different opinions about that sort of thing. So we dont even ask anymore, we just do what we feel is best for our son.
    ShantelRenee

Answer by ShantelRenee at 6:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• As long as you nurse/bottlefeed your normal amount FIRST,let the baby eat as much as she wants

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think 5 months is to early for solids, but I introduced solids when my son was 14 months, every baby is different on their eating habits, and you may see it change, their really hungry one day and the next not eating at all. It's usually good to start solids when they seem to not be eating the baby food/formula. Just know that once they have solids they usually don't go back.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• at 4 months ***
    Emmajosmommy

• Thank you ladies, you have all been very helpful!
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Jun. 22, 2011