How do you think my doctor would react to this?

As a very overweight woman, I find it hard to know what position my baby is in inside me. At my next doctor's appointment, I'm thinking of standing up, taking off my shirt, and having doctor feel around telling me exactly on what part of my stomach baby is. Right now, even at 24 weeks, my whole abdomen area is still pretty soft and I can even button up pants high on my waist. But then I feel movement below the button so I don't know if I'm hurting baby or not. If I wear maternity pants or button regular pants low on my waist, the bottom of my stomach just hangs out and jiggles. I definitely don't look pregnant then. Just a really fat woman who buttoned her pants low and now her stomach is jiggling over the top. Will the doctor be grossed out from being asked to assess my rolls?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It depends on how professional this doctor is....................

Answer by older at 10:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No sweetie!!! Do not feel insecure about that. I promise you, your doctor has had to look at many horrific things while in school and as a doctor. He/she will not be phased at all by your lovely lady wobbly bits!!!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I agree with ginger. I do suggest always wearing maternity pants or loose fitting, stretchy pants. If you don't normally feel the baby that much and you really feel it when your pants are buttoned he/she could be telling you he/she doesn't like it. I could be wrong, I'm just saying it'd the safer bet. I am overweight too and had the ask the doc to tell me what position the baby was in. I couldn't tell. She had no problem with it and never made me feel uncomfortable. My doctor was awesome and professional.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• the doctors going to tell you THE BABY CAN MOVE.. whats the point.. the baby can be on the left. then the right then the top then the bottom.. i think its pointless. but if ur set on doing it.... do it. they cant say anything bad to you. its their job to make you feel good and let you know what you need to or what you want
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I am also a bigger girl. When I was pregnant with my daughter I didnt start wearing maternity clothes until I was about 7 months or so pregnant and you couldnt really tell I was pregnant until close to the end. I would say not to worry about and if you can button up your pants and they are not to tight and you dont have to squeezt into them then you and baby are fine for now. But if you need to be reassured ask your doctor. Thats what they are there for and why you pay them.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It was helpful for ne to have my midwife explain where each part was and show me so I could feel in my own (back, arms, legs, head). That way, when baby was moving u knew what was where (kind of..)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011