Does anyone know of a home remedy to kill lice and their parents...the big bugs?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• This is the only thing that worked for me:
    Wash their hair, put in a lot of conditioner. Have them sit in a chair in front of the TV. Use a metal lice comb. Comb small bits of hair into a paper towel. Look at the paper towel. You will see nits (look like pepper) and maybe bugs. Keep combing through until you don't see any in that same section. Then move to another section. This can take hours. Keep adding more conditioner so it is easy to comb through. Keep changing the paper towel as needed. Do this every other day until you don't find any for a few days. Add tea tree oil to all shampoo, conditioner, hair sprays to keep them away. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Try Paul Mitchell Tea Tree pet shampoo and spray. You can find it at some salons or try PetCo or some place like that. It is safe for humans as it is actually tested on humans. As a cosmetologist, I went to their product education event for our salon. The woman would use it regularly onher son and he was the only one in his class to not be affected by a lice outbreak at his school. Hopefully that helps some.
    If anything, I would suggest checking with your doctor, which they would most likely prescribe or have you use the OTC lice kit. Then use the Paul Mitchell stuff to preven future outbreaks.

I've seen others on here say mayo works. That's the first time I've heard that. Vinegar is the only home remedy I know that's effective. Pour it on the hair and put a shampoo cap on, waiting about 10-15 minutes before rinsing & shampooing out. Hopefully you find something that works.
    MamisAngels

Answer by MamisAngels at 11:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Lice ARE the bugs - NITS are the eggs.

There are no good home remedies that will take care of everything.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You would need to get the store bought stuff.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I agree on the store bought stuff...and i heard mayonnaise will help get them outta the hair...it'll be stinky but it helps! :)
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Tea Tree Oil and a thin toothed comb!! Also, get the lice spray for the sheets, blankets ,clothes, teddy bears, etc. My sister's kids had it like crazy and this is the only thing that worked!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Get a bottle of cheap, plain (yellow) Listerine (no minty fresh green); use it to thoroughly saturate hair and scalp. Wrap hair in a shower cap (use a rubber band to make it smaller) for an afternoon nap or playtime (I wouldn't go overnight with a little one; for my kids I let them watch a movie laying on the couch with a towel covered pillow behind their head). Rinse well, shampoo/condition as normal; comb out with fine tooth comb, pulling out any lice or eggs, while wet; blow dry.

I recommend adding Tea Tree Oil to shampoo - and keep using. You can get a bottle for under $10 at WalMart, and it only takes a few drops for the whole bottle. It helps the eggs release from the hair, and helps keep them away.

Comb out the hair very well, pulling off all the eggs. It takes a while, but is necessary. Keep the hair wet - it really helps.

Check hair for missed/growing eggs daily for a few days, then after a week.

Good luck, mama!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Its SUPER hard to get rid of lice :(
    If you have health coverage,call ur dr. and have him call in a script for everyone..I know my health coverage covers it.They give you a kit which includes a shampoo and a spray for the house.
    If thats not an option and you don't have any money to buy the stuff..theres a couple things you can try...but if they are really badly infested already, it may not be as effective..
    You can put vaseline in everyones hair..it smothers them.BUT..it will take about 2 weeks to wash out of hair! Does work tho.
    Wash everything in your house that you can in HOT water...add vinegar alo9ng with your regular washing detergent.Things that can't be washed in the machine...bag up tightly in gabage bags for two weeks.
    Hopefully you don't have carpeting(bed matresses too) but if you do...sprinkle with borax..let sit for an hour, vaccume up(empty vaccume right away and seal in a garbage bag..outside. CONT:
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Then scrub carpeting &matresses (both sides) with soapy vinegar water...use a wet/dry vac on it if possible.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Shampoo with RID and leave it on for at least fivve minutes-ten minutes is even better. After you shampoo you can get rid of the nits by thoroughly rinsing the scalp with equal parts white vinegar and water. Or you can comb tea tree oil through the hair then rinse with vinegar and water. Remeber not to use your fingers to hunt down the critter though as they can burrow their way under your nails.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2011