Kid Troubles

My daughter told me about a kid that was "kicked out of his house" this boy doesn't look like he's old enough to get kicked out he might be 16. So my daughter asked me last night if this kid could come stay at our house,which I said no I don't harbor run aways,or kids that are kicked out of their home cause I don't wanna go to jail. Well guess what, yep you guessed right she brought him here and he's been sleeping on my couch an dhubby is pissed. I'm surprised he didn't make him wake up and kick him out. In fact I don't know why he didn't,I heard him yelling at my daughter this morning that "we'll talk about this later after work. Now I think my daughter was sweet to offer him a place to stay,and give him food and what not,but it's against our wishes and she needs to respect that. I'm not entirely too mad at her but very disappointed that she didn't honor what I said. She just recently broke up with some guy that I guess hit her right here at our home,and she says he acts like a baby sometimes. I don't want her to be with any guy that is abusive,I don't want her with any guy at all she's only 13 she won't be 14 till october and even then I think she's too young to "date" . I don't know if she's got a thing for this kid that's here at my home or if she is just really trying to help. I have to leave for work this morning till 2 so I imagine he won't be here when I get back,maybe she will be here I hope so I can find out whats going through her head. Was gonna say if the parents really did kick him out then they need to have a heart to heart chat with their kid. I know we all sometimes feel like kicking our rebellious teens,even I do,but you have to stick with it and take time out if needs be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You need to contact the authorities. If his family kicked him out and he's a minor, they are in the wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I dunno, growing up. We always had the kids that were kicked out of their home live with us for a while. Infact I have a kid now that got kicked out. But she' sonly 13 and he's 16, that would give me room to pause.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:38 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have done this many times during my daughters teen years, the kids I helped were kicked out for coming out as being gay, and I could not turn my back on them. I eventually talked to them and soothed them a bit enough to take them back and have a heart to heart. Don't be upset with your daughter it shows she has a big heart and compassion. It also shows that even though she knows the rules, she thinks a lot of the both of you to break those rules this one time, knowing that you two would have some compassion too.
    I would try to talk to the parents and explain your situation.

Answer by older at 10:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Wow. Sorry, i do not have an advice, but i would ground my daughter and contact the parents of the boy.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'd find out what the reason is first. A lot of times you may find that the kid is actually a good person who just needs love and attention that his parents aren't giving at home. I mean kicking a 16 yr old out, really. Just make sure he's not a runaway. I'd maybe even talk to the parents, maybe they are the ones with the issues. This happened to a friend when I was younger and it was because his mom was truly crazy.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Oh dear! I would take control of this situation asap. Leave your daughter out of it, just nicely explain to her your reasons and how you are going to help this kid so she will respect you instead of hate you for your decisions. Request you talk to this boy alone. If hubby is there, he will feel ganged up on. If your daughter is there she might make it hard for you to talk. Ask him what happened in his house. Listen with care. Ask him is there any family he can stay with. Friends? If not, tell him there is a youth shelter he can stay at until he turns 17 and can live on his own. The government will help him live. Tell him to use this time as practice for standing on his own. Tell him your heart goes out to him and you are here for him if he needs help, but he cannot stay here because you have a young daughter to care for. Be kind and you will feel good about your decisions and so will your daughter.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• There's no way my 13 year old could bring home a 16 year old and me be ok with it. He needs to go. Tell your daughter that while you feel for this boy he cannot stay at your house and that she is too young to understand why so she's just going to have to bow to your judgement and do as she's told.
    I would call the authorities and have them deal with the boy. He's far to young to be out on the streets and really bad things could happen to him.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011