Smoke filled work place

My DH is a nurse in a hospital. Recently, our area has been full of forest fires, there is smoke all in the area (our area isn't nearly as bad as where my DH works, 30 min away). But it has gotten so bad that the hospital is filled with smoke. They haven't evacuated yet, though they man at some point. Everyone has to wear masks in the hospital but they don't help much. The employees who have asthma haven't been able to work this week (one of my DH's co workers who has asthma came in anyway and had to be sent to the ER. Do you think that until the hospital can either evacuate or clear the smoke out, the people who have to be there (my DH can't just leave or he could lose his license to practice nursing) should get some kind of extra pay since they are having to work in these conditions? His nurse manager sent an e-mail to the chief of staff in the hospital asking for some kind of compensation, however, she hasn't heard back.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• I dunno, yes and no. I mean yes because it's a hazard, but NO because they are in the medical field. It's expected of them. Nurses go above and beyond almost always. But it would be nice if the compensation was extra
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Well it definitely needs to be documented in his file so that if something later in life (god forbid) should occur he can get treatment at their expense. Sadly - his job is a required one and that means he will probably be working until the fire is very close to the hospital. I wish you luck and safety in this trying time.
    Tess929

Answer by Tess929 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Just like at any other work place, a nurse has the the right to expect a certain set of conditions. The only difference is, nurses can't leave if the expectations aren't met because they would be abandoning their patients.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If it is that bad for him think how bad it is for the patients. They should have evacuated already. Rather than pushing for extra pay his supervisor should be pushing for evacuation.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• lovemydog, there is nothing they can do right now because all the hospitals in the area (well at least the 2 that are close) are having the same problem. There is one in our town that is ok BUT it is much smaller then the other 3 so it can't possibly accommodate their own patients and those of 3 larger hospitals.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Extra pay? Are you kidding me? This isn't the hospital's fault. So you want the hospital to pay extra for something that they aren't at fault for. And who is going to end up paying for that in the end? The patients? The insurance companies? Being a nurse doesn't entitle you to combat pay.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think they should be able to receive some sort of compesation, but whatever the law is will stand. Maybe like PTO in the future?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I ask because my DH is being put in a situation that can be and really is hazardous to his health, however he can't leave his patients Working under these conditions are not part of the job description. Like if he worked in an office, he could leave or call out sick but with his job he can't do that or he could lose his license to practice. And BTW, the HOSPITAL picks up the tab when they have to pay extra.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm very surprised that the hospital doesn't have special filters for events like this. It is common to have fires often in our area and our good friend works in maintainance at our hospital. When it is smoky he has to go around changing out the normal filters for the special filters and it takes him a couple days to change them all because there are that many.

I don't know about hazard pay though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011