IYO isn't it the truth that customers were complaining they couldn't understand the Indians on the customer service phone calls, it's not about creating american jobs it was about customer complaints over the language barrier

http://callcenterinfo.tmcnet.com/Analysis/articles/179328-carbonite-brings-back-call-center-jobs-the-us.htm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• it is so hard to solve a problem when there is a language barrier!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 10:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They need to quit outsourcing.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think there are just as many language barriers here by citizens of many nationalitites as there are when OUR jobs are outsourced. My mom actually just got fired from her job for discrimination!! A customer had a complaint about services and she responded by saying, "I'm sorry there's a language barrier." Screw all of you politically correct people with hurt feelings.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• All call centers are not created equal.

There are call centers with heavily accented operators. There are call centers with operators that you would never ever ever know was in India. They train them not only on dialect, but have them with a persona with a backstory, to the point they check the weather where "they" are every day and have mini-lectures to keep them up to date on big trends in US tv shows, movies and current events in case they come up. This is a skill, and costs more for a company to employ.

If the company also needs a skill from the operator (doing troubleshooting versus simply taking an order or information, for example), it gets cost prohibitive to find both skills in one operator.

The move back to the US was fueled by many factors - all of which contribute to the bottom line. That they are creating US jobs (and the marketing thereof) is one factor. Customer retention is no doubt another.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the jobs being outstourced. The language barrier is more of an offshoot of the problem. I can sympathize with how frustrating it is to try to get help with a problem but can't understand the person you're speaking with.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• When I call the help desk for my company in the US I get to talk to India. I can't understand them or hardly hear them. They ask you the same question over and over again b/c they can't understand you. I wish that most companies would go back to using English speaking people to do customer service calls. It would be so much more helpful and productive.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• We had a vendor with an Indian accent calling our company with a question and my receptionist was hanging up on him because she thought he was a spam caller.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Well, bless your heart Minnegerp.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• at Dish I remember before we outsourced - we won JD Power awards, etc but after the outsourcing we had so many complaints and btw they closed my office for south america a little over a year ago.
    Tess929

Answer by Tess929 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think the primary gripe is the outsourcing. The secondary is WHERE it tends to be outsourced TO. And that is mostly because we don't understand due to the language. First, you tend to get the automated crap. Then, you finally get to speak to an actual person, just to not understand a damned think they say.
    We had an issue with PayPal while hubby was deployed. I'm not on that particular account, but they sure let me use it. I clicked the damn button to change which bank account I wanted to use for the draft. Well, PayPal took the payment from the one I wanted to use AND the one he used last. Why? IDK. So we went into overdraft because we don't normally use the one he used last. I called, trying to get them to put the money back into the one account. I got India. They wouldn't talk with me because I'm not on the account. I got so angry. Especially when they said it was 'customer error'. I followed THEIR directions....
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011