ATTN: Married/Long term Relationships

Did you ever go thru a phase where your DH/SO was smotherng you? Where you just wanted to be ALONE but he was always there breathing down your back? Always asking you to do something for him or telling you you need to change how you do something? And no matter what you did it wasn't good enough or he had soemthing new to add? He claims he loves you and is happy but his requests say otherwise...

Did you make it through that rough time and end up happy again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• You can make it through this, but it will take honesty on both parts, and he has to be willing to work on your marriage. Marriage is always a 2 way street. And to me, that's not smothering, that's controlling and that doesn't work well with me.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No, I don't think thats right! If he's getting to you that much tell him to back off! No one needs that! And I'd be so mad if DH did that to me!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Sorry, I mean NO it hasn't happened to me.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Sounds like the low points in my cycle with DH. We can both go through phases where the other one drives us nuts and we get really critical. There have been days I cried in my room over it because I just wanted to leave him so bad because I just had so many more negative emotions than positive ones. But I didn't leave, for many reasons. One is that I know it is a cycle, and it comes back around. Another is that we can sit down and talk about it and how it makes us feel and work on it. We have good communication in a lot of ways and are always working on it. Also, I married him and when I said for better or for worse I meant it. Which is much easier during the better than the worse.

Sit down and talk to him about it. Talk to him about what commitment means to you. For us, commitment isn't just sticking out through the rough parts but also a commitment to working through them together
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Sounds like he's compensating for something he's done that has made him feel guilty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• it can be fixed, just let him know
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm just so bummed today. He doesn't get how exhausted I am working 40 hours per week, taking care of our little one, and the house. He works really hard at his job too, but since he's gone all the time "I owe him". He doesn't use those words, but that's how he acts. I'm supposed to drop everything and "jump" when he says jump. It's ridiculous. We talk about our issues though and try working on them, but if I do ONE thing wrong(not the way he wants it) or don't go out to see him once, I'm not trying and don't care about him. Manipulative much?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my husband does the same thing and it makes me mad for I don't do this with him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011