Is 8 to young for a girl to learn to operate the stove

momof3583

Asked by momof3583 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• – collapse
    Yes. Stoves get hot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I think a lot of it depends on her size. My dd is 8 but very small for her age. My neighbor has an 8 yo that is tall and quite able to reach everything without being burned. Also it depends on how careful that child is.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think a mature 8 year old could handle a stove. I'd need to see her use it a bunch before I would let her be unsupervised (like consistently for 6 months or more).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If you think she is mature enough then let her.. As long as your around i dont see why not.. My 3 year old helps me cook all the time she makes eggs and hot dogs and puts the food in the oven.. My 2 yr old... not so much lol. he prob wont touch the stove till hes about 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No? I was cooking at 5. It's a little young to operate it without an adult nearby but all kids should learn to cook...
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I was cooking breakfast for my sister and I at that age when we got home from swim practice. My Mom had a cow the first few times we did it, but we wanted scrambled eggs and our microwave was broken. I successfully cooked scrambled eggs and toast all summer without burning down our house or myself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• it really depends on the maturity of the 8 year old, my daughter has been cooking since she was about that age. I agree its important for kids to learn this survival skill.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:32 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Only supervised, but it's a great age to start letting her help!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'd only let her do it supervised, and I'd let her help out in the kitchen with me as well.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If she is supervised i think it would be ok
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 12:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011