Was swimming lessons bad for my son?

My 3 year old son just started preschool swim lesson last week Monday.
the first day turned out to be horrible and worse than what i expected, he was all pumped about going to his class, he got there and when the instructor told him and his class to sit and get used to the water he refused. I asked went over to him and asked why he is not going in with his class. he told me he thought we all were going in. I told him no it was just him and his class. then finally i got him in with his class and he was at the end and he kept doing the train and getting to far away. then shortly later after 3 times the instructor put him in between other kids so he couldn't do that.then the she asked to do the reach and pull and he refused to do that. I was embarrassed he was not doing anything they asked him.
Then yesterday i was expecting the same deal from last week. He actually went with his class, sat with his class, and then he did everything she asked minus the reach and pull, and the just laying still so he could practice to just float. then when again on his back they told him to kick and he then laid still.
Was it a bad idea to sign him up, or do u think he is getting better and it may benefit later on.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:03 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Were they bad for your son? Probably, because he wasn't ready for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I'm thinking he might not be ready for swim lessons and it might be time to cut your losses and pull him out. He may not be ready for swim lessons until he is more 5 or 6 years of age.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think you need to leave. Our kids act a lot different when the parents are in sight. If you leave, he will be much more likely to listen to the instructor.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• he is getting better as it goes along, and he is not the youngest one in the class, their is another little boy younger than him by a couple of months and is the same way. he is just very strong minded i think and does it when he wants to do it.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Swimming lessons are never BAD for a child. You need to be out of his sight during lessons. Kids act up more when moms around
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I also think that you need to leave the class and let the instructor take over. The family I babysit for had this same problem last year and the school that her child attends asked her to not go with them to the lessons, but show up a few minutes after they started so that she could watch but her son didn't know that she was there. He behaved in a much more appropriate waty
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Maybe ask the teacher what she thinks?

I think that swimming lessons are always a good idea.

Maybe he would do well in a class where you need to get into the water with him?
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Swim lessons are appropriate at ANY age. Ready? Are you KIDDING? BABIES can learn to swim, in fact, we're born with the instinct. WOW.

Yes, they were a good idea and NECESSARY for his safety.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Swimming lessons are good for everyone. It's something that children (and adults) should know how to do. It's a new experience for him, and it seems to be that he'll get better as he gets used to the lessons.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Personally I just think the kid needs time to adjust. Some kids have a harder time adjusting than others. Also, I agree with some of the others that it might go better if you were out of his sight. Just a thought.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011