Should my daughter already know how to read??

She will be five years old in August, and starting kindergarten in Sept., should she know how to read already ?

Princesaof1

Asked by Princesaof1 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends, have you taught her yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Not really, but she should know how to write all her letters, and what sound each makes. She should be able to write her name on her own. And doing a few sight words before she starts kindergarten would be a good idea.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes she knows how to write her name ass well as other words
    Princesaof1

Comment by Princesaof1 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No, she should not be able to read at this stage. At almost 5, she should know her alphabet (both upper and lower case) with 75% or better accuracy. She should have an idea what sounds some of the letters make. She should be able to recognise her name as well as a few words that have to do with some of her favorite things. (DD could read the word 'McDonalds' when she was almost 5.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• sight words,yes
    it will give her a leg up in kindergarten
    My son's school they were required to know some of them within a week of school starting!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My daughter can read, but that's because I taught her to. It's up to you to teach her before kindergarden. I think it helps them advance easier if they know the basic reading words, math skills and such before they start school. My dd can add too.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No but she should no some words. I taught my son words like mom, dad, what ect. And eventually he was able to make sentences. He is 6 though. So give it some time :)
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Mine was? She went to head start though at 4 she could read a bit, write her name and do all the things the Kinders would be doing or learning early on.

Answer by gemgem at 11:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It all depends on the child. You could teach her and it will certainly help. I was reading novels in kindergarten but most kids learn in K or 1st grade I think.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• She will learn sight words in Kindergarten and will probably be able to read simple books by the 1st grade.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011