What do you think?

I am pagan and have always felt that most people on average aren't really concerned what another person believes as long as they were respectful and didn't push their beliefs on them. For myself if I were to meet a muslim or christian it would make no difference to me because I would treat them the same, with respect and kindness. I was wondering if anyone thought this way. I don't hide what I am because I kind of feel like that is a self persecution attitude and people will respond in fear if you come across as afraid or not confident in what you believe. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're about to leave to eat lunch so I'll keep this short:
    I agree with you :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I agree with you. I try to live by the simple Golden Rule and it doesn't differentiate between religious affiliations.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Glad to hear it. After some of the craziness on this website I started to think I was the only one. That is partly why I had to ask. That and I was just curious :)
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• If you are a good person, and treat people with kindness and respect than it shouldn't matter what your beliefs are.
    I was born and raised Lutheran. I converted to Catholicism because my late husband was Catholic and we raised two of our sons Catholic. My oldest son who is 25 is Lutheran and he recently told me he is thinking of going back to church (after not going for many years). I offered to attend a Lutheran church with him just so he wouldn't have to go alone. Some people may think I'm wrong. I feel I'm supporting my son's decision.

I would like you to educate me on your beliefs.
    JuneL

Answer by JuneL at 2:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Dont hide who u are!! Im Wiccan. Be proud of who you are!! If people are that shallow then you were better off not being friends with them!
    jennylynn22003

Answer by jennylynn22003 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• First off I don't think you are wrong for supporting your son. I think all people must find their own road to God and you are being a great mom to your son for helping him along the way.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Sorry about the anonymous thing. I realized after I clicked it too late.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• As far as educating on my beliefs. Keep in mind these are mine personally, just as christianity has different points of view so do those in paganism. But the basics is that it is a nature based religion. Celebrating the changing of seasons and full moons. I believe in Goddess, God and Great Spirit. Paganism is generally viewed as a polytheistic system. Personally I believe all Gods are one God. I am wiccan therefore I practice magic but it's not like Harry Potter :) While all wiccans are pagan, not all pagans are wiccan. The golden rule for Wicca and most pagans is: An' with harm to none, do as thee whilst. There is more but this is gist of it. Sorry this is tough over the internet :)
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I think most people do not have a problem with meeting others of different beliefs as long as each is respectful of the others belief and I think you need to have a bit of a thick skin and realize someone may say something out of ignorence and just need to be lovingly set straight.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 3:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I believe in God, but not Jesus as God or the son of God. I dont think he was the "messiah." My family is primarily christian and I have attended christian churches. There was a point in my life where I was very religous, but after meeting other types of religous people and taking a world relgions class I found something else that worked for me. I have an aunt that has NOTHING to do with me because I dont believe in Jesus, I also lost a potential client because of it, I have had people treat me like an idiot because I dont believe the way they do, they act like Im a criminal. The truth is, I dont care what religion you are, I admire peoples faith...in whatever. It is a personal conviction between deity (or lack of) and person. I believe that being good, kind, compassionate, charitable, honest and loving is what matters, not the church you attend or the label you place on yourself.
    vivianasmom

Answer by vivianasmom at 3:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2008