How old was your child when they learned to write their letters?

Did you teach one letter at a time? Capitol and lower case at the same time or did you chose to just teach one or the other to start?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 11:33 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my kids were 3 alomost 4. we started by writing their names, and then moved on to other letters.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 12:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• they were all around 3 yrs old. By 2 they knew the abc song though. My 4 they could all write their names, and other small words. I had some problems with my autistic son but he also picked it up it just took teaching him differently was all.

Answer by gemgem at 11:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• DD and DS2 learned in preschool (age 3 or 4). DS1 was stubborn and wouldn't try to write until he was in kindergarten.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The best way is to get the preschool work books. You trace the letters, then they do it by themselves. My kids were around 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My son was around 3 as well. He knew his letters but was really a novice at writing them. We sent him to preschool and he learned so much there! He writes words all the time now - especially his name.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 12:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• ive been teaching my son everything he knows since he was 2 yrs old!!
    he has been writing his letters since he was 3 yrs.old
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My daughter got interested in writing/copying some letters right before she turned 3. She had received a thank you note, which had her name written on the envelope. She kept the envelope and I noticed that she started copying the letters, struggling to "draw" them.
    This is something that emerged from her play, not something that I taught her. So it wasn't a case of "one letter at a time" or upper/lower case.
    For her, writing was an extension of drawing, which was very important to her/claimed a lot of her time. She saw letters and copied their shapes (it was like artistic rendering, rather than learning "the way to make this particular letter.")
    She owns a picture dictionary & later on she used that a lot to find words & write them (in this case she was copying a printed font.) When she started school she worked on handwriting and forming letters "correctly;" there were no issues with not having emphasized this previously.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:45 AM on Jun. 22, 2011