Counter Tops are Dirty

What can I use to get stains out of my counter tops? They are white and look dingy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• bleach?

any why anon, are countertops really so controversial?! :P
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Bleach. Best thing to clean white counter tops. Bleach them. And then to cut the "slick" of bleach - rinse with vinegar.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:36 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• What are they made of? If they are formica, use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It is amazing!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• @ilovemyPaulie: The house was built in the 1970's. I think they are formica.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I have the same problem with mine. Unfortunately I live in a rental, and the landlord will do nothing about them. Bleach does NOT work, I've tried everything. Of course, they are covered in probably the cheapest laminate on the market, and are most likely as old as the building...which is OLD! If you DON'T live in a rental, there are now paints made for countertops that you can look into. They aren't cheap though. (Still cheaper than replacing the entire countertops) Sadly, they don't work for all surfaces. And, my landlord will not allow me to do anything. (Although I DID repaint my walls when it got to the point I could no longer stand them. I used a cheap paint, but in the 'original' white color.)
    Carolina_D

Answer by Carolina_D at 11:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I DID try the 'magic eraser' on mine, but that didn't work either. As a matter of fact, I think it made it worse.
    Carolina_D

Answer by Carolina_D at 11:44 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• @peanutsmommy1: It was done in error. I didn't think it would be an issue if I left it that way. I guess I was wrong; lol!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2011