using butter in recipes

When a recipe tells you to use softened butter, is it the same as melted butter? What happens if you do it wrong?

Tuf

Asked by Tuf at 11:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Food & Drink

• softened means soft, it will still be a solid. you can do this in the microwave or at room temp. room temp takes about 30 mins if you cut the butter up in inch sized pieces. if you do it in the micro, stay there and watch it. i cut it in inch pieces, put in a glass bowl and put it in for 1 minute, BUT you stop it every 7 seconds and stir the butter pieces. if you don't they will melt and you cant use melted butter instead of softened, they are too different. believe me i have tried! it might not take a full minute in the nuker, stop when it is soft.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 7:00 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Softened butter means room temp.

It wouldn't have the needed consistency.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• softened is just room temperature, not melted. I have taken it from the fridge and warmed it up for ten seconds to soften it. Adding melted instead wouldn't make a huge difference.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Depends on what you are making. If it's something like a cake or brownies or cupcakes then it should be ok. If you're making cookies or something else that needs to hold it's shape just then the melted butter will cause it to spread too much. Take the butter out the night before if you are baking in the morning or that morning if you are baking later in the day.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for melted butter. All it does is make them thinner. They taste the same.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I was curious about this too, so I googled and found this:
    "The physical properties of butter are changed when melted and prevent butter from being mixed properly with the flour in the cookie dough. Butter that has been melted coats the flour in the dough differently than softened butter. "
    http://www.bnd.com/living/story/573081.html
    The articles goes on to say if you accidentally melt the butter, use another stick and use the melted for something else. While I was searching I also saw that meling the butter releases the water in it.

Answer by Bmat at 2:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008