What was your childs reaction?

When you had to tell your child that mommy and daddy are divorcing what was the reaction to your child?

How did you word it out for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• My son was too young not even a year old when me and his father separated then divorced. He did ask a bunch a questions recently he is 8 and I just told him we were not making each other happy and we weren't right for each other. We both love him and new for him to be happy he needed happy parents. He accepted that and is happy we both have new families.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• same here my kids were 1 and 2. eay peasy.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• When I divorced their father, my oldest was 2 and I was pregnant with my youngest. I didn't tell them anything.

I did recently end my long term relationship with my boyfriend, whom we were living with. He was mentally abusive and too hard on my kids. I just told the kids that we were all unhappy and that I was ending the relationship because I thought it was best for all of us and told them to ask me any questions they had. They are 10 & 7 and I didn't want to overload them with info they don't need. They've yet to ask any questions, but when they do, I figure if they have the maturity and intelligence to come up with the question, they deserve a truthful answer, so I will be honest with them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• well my children's dad was depressed and abusive. They were actually supportive of me. Yes it broke their hearts that dad was no longer going to be a part of their life coz they still loved him.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my kids really didn't care. they grew up with me and their dad separating, coming back, separating and they knew he cheated so they really didn't care. they were 13 and 14 and now they are 18 and 20 and are happy we aren't together. they notice things when parents are not talking, being mean. just be honest with your child(ren) and tell them that this doesn't change the fact that the both of you don't love them any less.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011