I have mixed feelings about using antidepressants

have they worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Health

• My father was on them for years, and they didn't help one little bit, he ended up killing himself, I really don't think he had the right help that he so badly needed.
    Anonymous

• I took them years ago, worked well. I only take anti anxiety as needed now.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I am on Effexor XR, and yes, it works for me. BUT, meds for anxiety and depression work best when used in conjunction with therapy. I did therapy too.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It works a little but I'm also confuesed like you
    nau123

Answer by nau123 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i would seriously consider your environment. what's in your diet? that's usually the quickest and easiest way of defeating depression. do you smoke? are you overweight? what are your stressors - do you have kids? how's the anxiety level in your workplace? do you get enough sleep? lol do you get enough SUN? i was on antidepressants for years for type 2 bipolar disorder. i feel that depression, bipolar, anxiety and adhd are way to easily and commonly diagnosed. literally - if you go into a doctor and say the right things, they'll diagnose you with depression and give you some good pills. they're able to do that because all they have to go off of is your word; there are no physical tests other than brain scans (look up Dr. Amen with Amen Clinics) that can diagnose. think about it long and hard before deciding, but when it comes down to it, listen to your body! look into St John's-Wort and other natural supplements.
    RachelleM1986

Answer by RachelleM1986 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• good points
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• i am taking wellbutron now along with buspar...i really needed them after my dd was born bc of serious serious ppd..and i have just remained on them since then..i have tried stopping them but it just doesnt work out very well...
    Anonymous

• I've used Wellbutrin and Prozac, and yes, they both helped. I was also in therapy for several years.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:54 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• By the way, why do you have mixed feelings about taking antidepressants?
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• some claim nothing works, glad to hear they are highly effective
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011