What's your biggest regret as a parent?

nurse_maya

Asked by nurse_maya at 12:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• When i broke up with my bf of 8 years for cheating.. i started drinking quite a bit & didn't spend much time with my kids.. That went on for about 2 months.. Thank you goodness it didn't last long, but I regret the time I missed with them
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Not listening to my gut and just raise my son on my own.......without a man.......I love my DH (he's not my son's birth father), but he was not cut out to be the father of any child over the age of 13........wow.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:13 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That I didn't spend more time just sitting, holding them and rocking them, and telling them how very special they were to me and their daddy.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• When my daughter was first born I didnt realize or cherish the moments when she was a little baby and also not enjoying my first pregnancy. But now I always hug and hold my daughter and tell her I love her.
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 12:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The one thing I regret most is leaving them for the time I did when I was mentally unstable. I left to protect them from me and what I was doing with my life at the time, they just didn't need to see me going through everything I was. Knowing now that I was suffering with bi-polar doesn't make the guilt any easier, I've apologized and explained things the best I could. I regret loosing that time with them when I wasn't home, and not being the mother I have should been. I feel guilty for not realizing I needed help so it wouldn't get to that point.
    Being home now I try to make up for it every day, I tell them I love them, I hug them, I kiss them, I cuddle with them and I know I am truly blessed because they have forgiven me and return all the love I give them. It just makes me so sad to know I put them through that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Having my 2 older sons circumcised.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think regrets differs with each kid as there is no one set of regrets, you try to do the best you can as a parent. We are human. Thats not an excuse as much as an understanding we have to come to terms with as a family. It fall under the unconditional love... that means standards with out judgements. If our kids continue to be great people with no real hang ups that will destroy their lives they pursue then all was not lost or failed.Right? The burden of regret is only measured as the failures our children, as they struggle to meet society's demands..because that where WE have fail them. They do NOT fail us. It IS our fault at that point &should be accounted for.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 12:47 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Not holding my son as much as I should have when he was teeny! :(
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:49 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Losing my patience as many times as I have already - I thought I'd be better at this or maybe that more would have come natural so its a hard realization when it turns out nothing comes natural -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't have any. I love how my child is growing and he is a great kid. Plus I regret anything anyways, there is nothing you can do about it so why dwell on it.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2011