I know you aren't allowed to lie on your back because of circulation and all that kind of stuff. Does it hurt the baby, or does it just harm you?

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It reduces blood flow to the placenta which can reduce oxygen flow to the baby.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• it can cut off the flow of blood through the umbilical cord
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The baby gets more oxygen when u lay on your side. More on your left then your right. That is what the doctors say.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:29 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• if im on my back im elevated, but i try to stay sleep on my side
    kb81888

Comment by kb81888 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It does not seem to matter,stay off your back! Use pillows by your back to help u.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My body actually couldn't, I would get unconfortable, I just knew, It's best to sleep on one side, its; harder and harder in the pregnancy. I had 8 pillows around me to make me feel better, for legs and and arms and such it was surrounded around my body.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They say if you go to sleep on your side but wake up on your back its not gonna hurt the baby but you arent suppose to be on your back for extended amounts of time.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• The weight of the uterus compresses a vein that goes to the lower half of your body, including the uterus/placenta, and thus could potentially cut off oxygen to the baby. However, you're likely to get uncomfortable and want to change position before any harm is done.

You don't have to be completely on your side, though. You can wedge a small pillow or a rolled up towel under one hip and otherwise be on your back, and that's fine. Pillows are your friend. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2011