What age should I let my daughter shave her legs?

She is only 5 and I'm definitely not going to let her anytime in the next 5 years but she was asking and I thought....I wonder when I should let her. 10? 11? 12?

AzMom520

Asked by AzMom520 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• When she enters puberty. I think I started shaving around 13. I got teased for having hairy legs.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• tell her : when it became ugly ..and your so pretty with now ;)
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 12:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I started shaving mine in 7th grade. I was in the school chorus and needed to wear an outfit and pantyhose. 7th grade seems to be the age to start.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:35 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think you should let her when she starts high school, is that 12 or 13 years old? Whenever you feel she needs too :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 12:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Mine was 9 or 10

Answer by gemgem at 12:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't think it makes sense to set an arbitrary age. Let her shave her legs when she feels it's necessary, at whatever age she becomes aware of the body hair and wants to do something about it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I bought my daughter an electric razor when she was starting middle school. She was 11, and I figured she'd have less chances of cutting herself with the electric shaver. She moved on to regular razors sometime after she turned 12.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would let her when it becomes a problem rather than at a particular age. At 10, I had legs that looked like a man and 32DDs and I was SO embarrassed because my mother wouldn't let me wear a bra or shave my legs because I was "too young". It was so far from being a sexual or adult thing to me at that age...I just didn't want to be embarrassed. PLEASE don't go with a number, go with when she needs to.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• 11- 12
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• When it starts to bother her. I was 11.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Jun. 21, 2011