What does a SAHM actually do if she has staff to do everything for her?

Okay. So, this is probably sooooooo low-class for me to even ask, but, if you are a SAHM, but have nannies and housekeepers, what do you actually spend your time doing? I ask because my husband and our extended families have the belief that if a woman is home, it is to take care of the kids, home, etc. If she doesn't have that to do, then she should be working. If I were to bring in a housekeeper, I would probably lose all credibility. It would make no financial sense. But, I have acquaintances with little ones who always seem to have free time because of all of their staff. I wonder why they are at home at all, sometimes. Why do you need all that help if you are not having to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If you have nannies & housekeepers..you aren't a SAHM. You are woman with children, who doesn't have a job.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Ummm letting other people do what you should be?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• IMO, that is the epitome of a lazy/self-centered SAHM. I work, and I commend SAHM who do it all because I sure couldn't but those who hire help (unless you have like 10 young kids and NEED the help) then I think they are just lazy.
    Anonymous

• I know a few people in my town like that. Most of them volunteer in the schools, fundraisers, community projects, etc or help their husbands with their businesses. Most of these wives' "jobs" are to be seen out in the community.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You are talking with friends and keeping your social status. You're making sure you are the "prom queen" for life.
    Anonymous

• MOM, but you run businesses and have a disability AND take care of the kids. You are actually soooo busy and you need the hhelp. There are some women, though, who don't have any of that going on, yet they have a full-time nanny. I don't get it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• and yet MOM is on CM right now lol
    Anonymous

• If they can afford it and that is what they choose its really no one's business. Perhaps they have extended family to care for, perhaps they volunteer much of their time, maybe they just like to work out at the gym or have lunch with friends, who cares, again, assuming money isn't an issue. Let's face it, if money wasn't an issue for me, I see no reason why I would bust my ass scrubbing my toilets, etc. I'd stay home and spend more time doing fun and educational stuff with my kids, and pay someone to clean my house. Sadly, I can't afford that so I work a full time job from home, and am a SAHM at the same time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If your friends could afford it, why critize? They probably spend their time enjoying life, volunteering, just doing what they feel like. You wouldn't want to do that?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• That's true Gram. And I probably have blinders on, but it just annoys me. Housekeeper, okay, but do you REALLY have to be out of the house at the gym, hair salon, social lunch, girls night out, Vegas weekend with the girls, massage, pedicure, personal coach ALL THE TIME? And, it seems like they always complain about HOW MUCH they have to do, and how much they deserve a break or that vacation with the girls. They actually choose to spend their time away from their children like it is a bad thing to be with them.
    I know, I am criticizing to the max. I guess that it all comes down to how much you value time with your family. Some people value time away more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jun. 21, 2011