Family members going on vacation when they can't pay their bills

I have a family member who, along with his wife, has 4 children under the age of 6. They are always struggling financially, there 4 kids are all girls and his wife has a sister with 2 DDs older then their kids so the sister hands all the clothes down to her kids so by the time the youngest gets the clothes, they have already been through 5 children (and were not very well taken care of) but she says they can't afford new clothes so that's what they wear (meanwhile, they each smoke a pack a day, the parents that is). Anyway, now they are trying to go on a vacation (10 day cruise) that will cost them several thousand dollars. I just can't imagine them spending that kind of money when their kids are going without. Do you see this as neglect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• I think its stupid.. but it's really not your business.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• not my family = not my business
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Do the kids eat? They do have clothing right? Are the kids abused? Right now it just looks like they make poor financial decisions.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• its sad & stupid...but its not criminal neglect so its none of my business.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• not neglect, but just poor financial decisions. They should do something cheaper like take the kids camping or go to the beach.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• No I don't. The kids have cloths. Not new but they have some. Going on vacation is not right. But not neglect.  People spend their money the way they want to.

Answer by louise2 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• If the kids are fed, housed, schooled, and happy........it's not neglect, it's just stupid and selfish of the parents.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• They probably have mnore money than you think, they just have screwed up priorities. That is the type who will take things for free and not pay medical bills, but claim they HAVE to have extended cable. The money is there, they just have to have the cable more than they HAVE to pay the bills.

Craziness.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think that's crazy! If you can't afford necessities, you don't need the luxuries of a vacation, IMO.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• poor financial planning. But I can see they want the best for their kids. I hope they save all year. Who knows maybe they won the lottery...
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011