Glucose test

so i have a couple questions about this. im 24 weeks pregnant and this test is coming up for me.

how common is it to get gestational diabetes?
if you have does it stay with you after giving birth or go away?
i heard the stuff you drink is nasty, any suggestions?

and just any other info you might have on it will be good ty

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I dont know about the diabetes.. but that drink SUCKSSSSS!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I can give you some pointers for taking the test. Make your appt. as early in the morning as you can. About a week before, cut down on all sugary things you usually eat like juices, desserts & carbs like any white bread, pasta, pizza etc. Don't eat after 9pm the evening before the test. The drink is given very cold so it is not that bad, just like a super sugary kool aid. If you don't pass the one hour test, they send you for a 3 hour test which really sucks. So prepare in advance for the first test & you shouldn't have a problem. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:50 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• About 3-4% of pregnant women will have gestational diabetes. It does not sty with you afterwards. The stuff tastes gross but you can speak with your dr. some will let you have jellybeans instead to do the test. If not the best thing to do is refrigerate the drink and drink it really cold. It helps it to go down a little smoother. But expect to feel yucky after...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• @ ilovemypaulie.... how would you not pass the 1 hour test. like what would make you fail?
    wifey000175554

Comment by wifey000175554 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I am not sure of how common it is to get it. I thought I might had it this time cause I am gaining so much. I am 33 weeks pregnant today and as of 2 weeks ago I was 200 pounds. I was 138 before i got pregnant. But the test came back that I didn't have it. I heard it goes away as soon as the baby is born, but i know 2 people that kept it after they had the baby. The first time (diffrent dr) for some reason he never did the test. But the dr I have now and with my second did the test. He puts the stuff in the fridge so it tastes somewhat better. With my second it tastes like orange pop, but flat. This time around I thought it kind of tastes nasty. It tasted like an orange melted popcycle and I don't like orange.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• oh and you don't have to fast or anything the day before. I didn't. The only thing I cut out was the bread cause oviously that all turns into sugar and I just limited the sugar intake until after my test. That is what my dr said to do. They said you can have anything you want to eat just limit the sugar intake.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• OP- you fail the test if you sugar is too high. That means your body didn't break down the sugar from the drink like it should. I had gestational diabetes with my first. It does not stay with after the baby is born, but women that have gestational diabetes are at higher risk for developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. The drink is nasty. My suggestion is just chug it and get it over with lol.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 2:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I had to go through the same test. The drink that they gave me wasn't to bad its was kinda like drinking a thick gatorade. My diabetes was caused from my weight gain and the it went away around the second month after giving birth. Try not to worry and good luck!
    AvaAndAverysMom

Answer by AvaAndAverysMom at 6:38 PM on Jun. 21, 2011